Rotating bottle caps -please help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich82

Reaction score
I have just bottled my brew for the first time, Cooper’s Draught. It’s only my second ever brew and liked the idea of having it in bottles as opposed to a barrel so I can put them in the fridge and get them nice and cold, that, and the fact that if no one else likes it I can keep it for a while. I have put some in 2ltr PET coke bottles, sum in 1 litre PET coke bottles, some in 500ml glass beer bottles and the rest in the keg. A bit of an experiment to see what works best for me. Although I have used mixed 500ml beer bottles (10 in total) most are in pairs, and after capping the bottles today some of the caps were rotating, not easily, and only when using a towel and a lot of force but they were turning slightly. What I don’t understand is the bottle caps are all the same, and one of the caps would turn on one bottle and then on another bottle exactly the same it wouldn’t. I took the cap off a rotating one and tried another cap, it still turned. 2 things, firstly any idea why this could be happening could I be using the capper incorrectly and secondly am I going to lose the brew that’s in these bottles? Out of the 10, 4 are turning. I am using an Emily capper and putting as much force as I dare on to the handles, they are bending right down, and leaving a little indent in the centre of the cap.

never had a cap twist , I have the same capper as you so it could be the bottles you are using or the caps. I use plain gold caps and cider (magners) and ale bottles

I don’t even know why I tried to twist them to be honest; I think I just wanted to double check how tight they were on. They don’t appear to be leaking anywhere. I have put them in my fermentation bucket with some water to create a water bath so I can keep the temp at an ideal secondary fermentation temp. If and when they start to ferment I might submerge the tops to see if there’s an air leak. If they don’t carb up or do carb but then leak, but they still taste o.k., could I add them to what’s in the barrel and then gas up using Co2 or would this be bad for what’s in the barrel?

My advice would be to stop messing about with your bottles just put them away untill they are ready you won't do any good twisting caps and submerging bottles in water. if you are just after something to keep yourself busy get another brew on the go and let the other one mature in peace.

Wolverine said:
My advice would be to stop messing about with your bottles just put them away untill they are ready you won't do any good twisting caps and submerging bottles in water. if you are just after something to keep yourself busy get another brew on the go and let the other one mature in peace.

:thumb:

Wolverine said:

you've been told :D

Indeed, well they're away and not being played with now. I marked the bottles when I put them away and will see if there’s any difference in the end result. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back