Robust porter recipe help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timw

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to make a nice rich porter, aiming for a solid 5% ABV, with a balance of the chocolate sweetness yet goo dhop flavour - It's only AG#3 so recipe design not my strong point.

I was playing with BeerMate but its hard to know how much of difference to flavours my amendments make and I'm really stabbing in the dark with the hop schedule.

If it helps, my ingredient supplies are good, and I also have wheat malt and munich malt in store. Hops wise, I have some Brambling Cross, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, Casade.

I've S04 dry yeast.

Grateful for any advice

23lts 70% efficiency - OG1.054 FG 1.014 5.31%ABV Bitternesss 39.5IBU Colour 34SRM

Marris Otter Pale Malt - 4750gms (83.3%)
Crystal malt (bog standard, so guess Crystal 60) - 500gms (8.7%)
Chocolate malt - 225gms (3.95%)
Black malt - 225 gms (3.95%)
90 min mash

Boil -75mins
Cascade leaf (AA 6%ish) - 15gms @ 60mins
Northern Brewer (AA 9%ish) - 28gms @ 60mins
Cascade leaf (AA 6%ish) - 15gms@ 10mins

I recently did a porter myself and will link the recipe when I get to a computer. I would however drop the black malt to 2% and up the crystal to about 10%. Hop wise I am unsure so I will let someone else help you with that.

Thanks Alan.

As a fellow Wiseman (I don't think youre a relative....) I thank you! :thumb:

I made this as my Xmas beer-rather pleasant

Castle Eden Porter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 37.4 (EBC): 73.6
Bitterness (IBU): 38.3 (Average)

84.94% Maris Otter Malt
15.06% Chocolate

2.2 g/L East Kent Golding (6.25% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Calcium Chloride @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
0.1 g/L Epsom Salt (MgSO4) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
0.1 g/L Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)
0.1 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale 04

I am waiting for the Fullers Porter from GW to mature as well,that might be worth you looking at

My first AG brew (this century at least) was very similar and has been my best yet. Originally a strong dark ale it has turned out more like a porter but not quite as dark.

Pale malt - 5kg
Crystal malt (150 EBC) - 570g
Chocolate malt - 120g

Hallertau hops - 45g (90mins)
S-04 yeast
This made 23ltres OG 1050

Actually it is a version of a smoked beer I made in the late 90s but without the smoke (I decided I didn't like smoked beer)

The flavour is evolving the longer it is maturing. From a caramel, toffee flavour after a few weeks to a bit of a liquorice taste after a couple of months.

Back