Removing sediment - Is this too obvious?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizard

Reaction score
Hi all,

I knocked up some (surprisingly strong but delicious) cider (which tastes more like wine lol). It was basically the easy 'turbo' way of doing it. Whilst I was at it I tried a second batch just using water with yeast and sugar, and that is surprisingly nice as well.

Now then, there is sediment at the bottom of the bottle as you would expect. I couldn't care less but my friends look at it as if it was poison. Is this a valid way of removing it, and I don't see why I can't find any information on this anywhere:

Take a 2 litre bottle, cut the top off and invert it over the base of the bottle. Stretch a sock and/or a pair of tights over the head of the bottle. Pour the cider into the inverted bottle top until the base is full. Pour this into your storage bottle. Repeat until all liquid is done. Consider doing another time if sediment remains.

Look at the picture here for what I mean about inverting the bottle: http://insected.arizona.edu/flyrear.htm

Are there any problems with this? It would still be carbonated, right?

Thanks

i store my pet bottles upside down in a box in the dark for a few weeks,
the sediment settles in the cap,
them i crack it open over the sink [still upside down] and the sediment is flushed out,
only an eggcup full of drink is lost, and its as clear as a clear thing... :party:

simples

So you remove the lid whilst the bottle is upsidedown so the liquid spills, and then flip the bottle the right way around?

WHAT? :shock: :wha:

If you want to remove sediment entirely you need a VERY fine filter.
By “fine” I'm talking in thousandths of a millimetre.
Old socks or stockings will not work :nono:

Best way to avoid sediment is to add some TIME (like a couple of months) and then to pour carefully.

PS: Collecting the sediment in the cap, opening upside down and then quickly righting the bottle works just great, and with practice your losses will be minimal.

I know there will always be ultra fine sediments floating around. I'm talking about the grey bulk of rubbish at the bottom.

I don't have time! There is no time to waste! This is meant to be fast and nasty!!! (although still delicious as my batches were)

So, what do we think? :P

1pt3jk.jpg

f2rbc5.jpg

I'm a genius, right! :grin:

lizard said:
So you remove the lid whilst the bottle is upsidedown so the liquid spills, and then flip the bottle the right way around?

just crack the cap open,
when the beer,has pushed most of the sediment out,
i close the cap,
then return to the upright position,
remove the cap
and wash it out if it has compacted stuff in it,

then i put the cap back on, and pop the bottle in the fridge to chill for a while..

one of the benefits of this technique ... is the fantastic smell from the beer/cider as it flushes out the cap.... :D

as Mr moley says... you would need a very fine filter to catch sediment, like a filter paper for coffee...but they clog very quickly and you will be there for ever... :evil:

artyb said:
just crack the cap open,
:

Eerrrr.... when you say "cap". I was a cheapskate and just bought 5L of water and used the 5L plastic bottle to brew, there's no way I'm paying £8ish for a proper demijohn. What a rip off.

Was looking at the petrol cans and also waste disposal storage tanks - they look good for brewing actually - 23L of storage space for about £10 (unlike 5L for £8 if I got a proper demijohn). They are the perfect size for brewing (but this is another story......).

So I don't "crack" any caps, I twist them off the bottles as my bottles are plastic....

I think that is what he was talking about. Plastic pop bottles are fine for beer and cider. If you are going to use plastic vesels for fermenting make sure they are food grade plastic. Blue plastic chuckney bins from the curry house make good fermenters.

I don't know what you mean by "food grade plastic". I used a few 2L Coka Cola bottles and a couple of 5L water bottles. I gave them a good shake and left them filled with water for 10 mins with a dot of bleach, then gave this a good shake and rinsed with water, so they were sterilised. I just used the everyday coke bottles everybody ends up with.

graysalchemy said:
Plastic pop bottles are fine for beer and cider.

Phew, that's all I used :)

Back to the original point: What is wrong with my makeshift filter? Surely that will remove the majority of the rubbish (sediment) on the bottom of my bottles?

lizard said:
I don't know what you mean by "food grade plastic". I used a few 2L Coka Cola bottles and a couple of 5L water bottles. I gave them a good shake and left them filled with water for 10 mins with a dot of bleach, then gave this a good shake and rinsed with water, so they were sterilised. I just used the everyday coke bottles everybody ends up with.

graysalchemy said:
Plastic pop bottles are fine for beer and cider.

Phew, that's all I used :)

Back to the original point: What is wrong with my makeshift filter? Surely that will remove the majority of the rubbish (sediment) on the bottom of my bottles?

I think your original idea is spot on :thumb: :thumb: get on with it and tell us what the results are after you have tried it.

UP

If this is going to work, surely it can go straight through this filter into the grateful recipient's glass, or to the bottle it's going to be stored in (via a funnel if necessary).
I don't see the need to filter into one sawn-off PET and then pour again into some other bottle, with all the extra oxidation risk if it's going to storage.

Of course the big question is: what denier tights to use?

The French use their feet to tread wine grapes. Why shouldn't we use our socks to filter it? :whistle:

Get yourself one of these lizard, that way you can transfer your cider to another bottle/whatever without taking the sediment.
For free demijons have a look on freecycle.
I don't know what you mean by "food grade plastic"
Not all plastic is suitable to store food in, as chemicals from the plastic can leach out of it and into the food/liquid.

Back