Removing labels from wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onslowthegunner

Reaction score
After spending hours cleaning bottles in hot/ cold and even WWP - i'm left with glue which just won't budge. Any ideas!!

BerkshireBadger said:
wire wool and warm water always works for me.

+1, a little detergent if really needed aswell but only for the real stubborn ones, just done 60 bottles this morning, took about 3 hours to get them nice and spotless, so about 3 mins a bottle

I fill the bath with warm water and VWP and soak them for 24 hours. Depending on the wine make will decide how easily the labels will come off. Use a sharp knife or wire wool stuff.

I have begun to put boiling/hot water into the bottles, trying to keep labels dry. Give it 15 mins for the label glue to melt and to cool for safe touching. Labels should then peel off whole, especially the plastic coated or metallic ones. Baby wipes laced with white spirit seem to clean the outsides a treat.

could put them in the dishwasher if u have 1 without a tab in. been working for me with beer bottles at the moment

Deaconbrau said:
I have begun to put boiling/hot water into the bottles, trying to keep labels dry. Give it 15 mins for the label glue to melt and to cool for safe touching. Labels should then peel off whole, especially the plastic coated or metallic ones. Baby wipes laced with white spirit seem to clean the outsides a treat.

+1 but I use veg oil for the residual glue :thumb:

Does wire wool not scratch the glass?

Back