Removal of scale from syphon tubing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
I'm going to be bottling my second ever brew this weekend (hopefully!). My syphon tubing has patches of scale in, no doubt from evaporation of the very hard water we have hereabouts after washing it the last time. I'm worried that this might reduce the efficiency of sanitising the tubing. Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of it (and prevent it happening in the future - I suppose rinsing with 10min boiled water would probably help?)

TIA

Chris

Depending on how much of it there is, I'd just replace it given the relative low cost of it. Once washed I whizz the tubes around to flick as much water out as possible.

mr_spin said:
Depending on how much of it there is, I'd just replace it given the relative low cost of it. Once washed I whizz the tubes around to flick as much water out as possible.

Could do, it'll just a bit tricky to get to a shop selling tubing before the weekend!

I also have hard water and had the same issue. After the clean-up I now flush through all the tubing with either distilled water or purified water, depending which one I find first after SWMBO has tidied up. Since doing this I don't get any deposits in my tubing.

Latest posts

Back