Recommendations for Pressure Barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbrew

Reaction score
Hi there please can someone recommend a good pressure barrel?

I recently purchased one of the standard plastic pressure barrels with a tap on the bottom, the first one leaked through the tap seal so I had to take the beer out and take it back to get a replacement. However upon opening the barrel I found the replacement stank of stale beer, obviously I wasn't happy because this was supposed to be a new barrel. I continued though and sterilised the barrel then put my beer in in the barrel and within 30 minutes the barrel sprang a leak through the tap itself. The people I bought the a barrel off are giving me a refund and replacing my beer up to the amount of £7.00 as the beer was out of a starter kit from wilkinsons.

The pressure barrel I bought was the same as this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Brew-Balli ... B001QOMJKS

I need a more reliable barrel though that doesn't leak. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used King Keg barrels and haven't had a problem with mine - maybe try one of those? Of course, anyone on these boards would recommend Corny kegs. They don't hold quite as much beer, but they maintain pressure a lot better than any plastic kegs.

morepunk said:
I've always used King Keg barrels and haven't had a problem with mine - maybe try one of those? Of course, anyone on these boards would recommend Corny kegs. They don't hold quite as much beer, but they maintain pressure a lot better than any plastic kegs.

Likewise, I use King Kegs. No doubt Cornies are better but cost more to set up with gas etc. Theres an attachment available for soda stream gas bottles so you can use them to pressure king kegs via the 'S30' valve they come with.

I've only been brewing for a few months, but have been using a barrel like that and have had no problems at all. Maybe you've just been unlucky?!

I'm biased, but definitely with Eddie. Corny kegs are the future, but, if you are just starting & don't want to get too involved too fast. Get a King Keg :thumb:

I've always used plastic pressure barrels and never had a problem.
The 3 I've had experience with (all high tap) are; Rotokeg, Beersphere and Kingkeg.

Latest posts

Back