Recommend a hop pairing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing this again in the next week or two. I've done two versions previously - one with citra/mosaic and the other with simcoe/amarillo (dropped the base malt a little on this one to reduce the abv by 1%). Both came out excellent.
Looking for a hop pairing to try this time around. It's a nice fruity NEIPA with slight bitterness from some 60 min chinook. What should I try for a change? I'll be ordering the hops from Crossmyloof Brew - Brewery Supplies, so pretty much anything goes!
Yeast likely to be voss kveik, but open to suggestions there too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240608-143958.png
    Screenshot_20240608-143958.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 9
Obvious direction to go is New Zealand - Nelson Sauvin with anything like Riwaka, Nectaron, Motueka - or Strata.

Personally I've never had a hazy that was improved by using Voss, and several that were ruined by it so my personal taste would say - don't use Voss. One of the 1318 London Ale derivatives like Verdant would be the obvious choice if you've not used it before, otherwise most British yeasts will work, even something like S-04.

Citra-Mosaic is a classic. Galaxy incognito and spectrum adds a great extra dimension.

As a complete alternative I’ve had great success with a combination of Amarillo, El Dorado, Ekuanot, Mosaic. It’s what Deya’s Steady Rolling Man uses.

But then I’m using 100g of each, 40g whirlpool, 60g dry hop.

If you are after a NEIPA I wouldn't be using voss or 04 yeasts. I would also drop the 60 minute addition.

As for hop pairings
Idaho 7/Strata
Sabro/citra
Talus/citra

Any of the super fruity ones will work

I’d go for a triple - Mosaic, Cascade, Citra. Boil additions, hopstand additions, dry hop, and keg hop. Also drop the bittering addition as suggested by @Leon because you’ll get enough bitterness from all the other additions.

Yeast would probably be Verdant but I’ve been given one called “Saturated” from WHC that I’m looking forward to trying.

I would never recommend not using at least some bittering hops. This is important for your hot break, especially if you are bottling and kegging beer. A small amount of 60 min hops aids the precipitation of hot break, without this too much carry over into FV. This will cause sluggish fermentation, will increase the need for finings, plus you beer will get hazier over time as this protein starts to precipitate and coagulate with existing proteins. Allow your kettle to cool before late additions instead.
This is why some landlords won't have beer from certain breweries who do this, beer is not stable enough, so variable in quality, which go 'sludgy' in Cask and keg, causing fobbing/flavour changes.

I hardly ever use bittering hops and never had a problem with my fermentation clarity or hazes unless I have brewed with that intent.
Having said that I like the majority of brewers use Protofloc in the boil for the last 15 minutes, if you are talking about no finings at all in the kettle or FV then maybe it does help? but does anybody not use Protfloc/Irish moss? not many

Protofloc will help, to a degree. As mentioned in my post it will increase the need for finings. I'm not saying commercial brewers are just out to make money, or there right or wrongs, but many things need to taken into account in trade, that really don't matter in home brew.
•Beer settling times, even for hazies. Good cold break.
•yield in the pub, publican don't want a gallon of waste.
•yield in brewery, beer can become more expensive, I'm currently working with many brewers on this.
•time in brewery. Tank residence time increases costs, holds up production
•shelf life issues.
•yeast count, what is it when the beer is hazy, how many have a microscope?
•stability, even educated landlords, who accept hazy beer will take it off it it gets excessively hazy and stats to fob from keg.
Home brewers mainly use one hit yeast, as do many commercial brewers, but if not, yeast management becomes harder.
Acid washing of the house strain is required to scrub up the yeast cell to aid absorbion and prevent future sluggish fermentations.

Latest posts

Back