Ragtag (Lloyd Grossman) IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is the brew I have planned for this weekend. It's a mid-Atlantic bastardisation of a best bitter and an American IPA using mostly odds and sods from previous brews or that have been sitting around for a while. For that reason I was going to call it Ragtag IPA but now I might call it Lloyd Grossman IPA, unless anyone can think of a better Anglo-American Celebrity.

The idea I have for it is to use a nice British ale yeast combined with a grain bill that wouldn’t be too out of place in a best bitter to provide some malt backbone and fruity esters but by mashing at a low temp, create highly fermentable wort and a well attenuated beer with a dry finish and shove loads of hops in for bitterness and flavour like an American IPA. I’m going to use a fair whack of crystal malt to retain some body and sweetness.

Ragtag/Lloyd Grossman IPA -
Method: BIAB

3KG Maris Otter
1KG Munich Light
300g Crystal 15L
150g Crystal 45L
50g Crystal 90L

60 min - 25g Nugget 14% AA
15 min - 40g Pilgrim 11% AA
Flame out @75oC - 25g Nugget, 45g Amarillo
Dry hop for 7 days - 55g Amarillo, 40g Mosaic

Yeast from Wibbler Brewery. Similar to White Labs Essex Ale WLP022

Mash at 62oC for 45min, raise temp to 68oC for 25min, mash out and dunk sparge at 75oC.

OG - 1.049, FG - 1.012, 4.8% ABV, 66IBU, 80% efficiency

I’ve been preparing a starter from the Wibbler yeast and I know I am going to need a blow off tube. The 2L starter (I’m harvesting some for keeps) is almost climbing out of the 5L bottle I’ve got it in.

I guess the question now is "Who would drink a pint like this?" :)

Back