Quick question on starters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Have prepared a starter last night for the first time in ages, but the room it was left over night was about 24c Overnight.

so will this have stressed the yeast too much? Will any phenols carry through to the brew? I was gonna brew today but have a feeling I’ll need to cold crash it first overnight so I only add the yeast. It’s a one litre starter with wlp007

Have prepared a starter last night for the first time in ages, but the room it was left over night was about 24c Overnight.

so will this have stressed the yeast too much? Will any phenols carry through to the brew? I was gonna brew today but have a feeling I’ll need to cold crash it first overnight so I only add the yeast. It’s a one litre starter with wlp007
Sounds an almost ideal temperature fir a starter as they can be made at a higher temperature with the sole aim of optimising cell division rather than anaerobic metabolism. V little by way of fusel alcohols will have been produced since the conditions remain oxidative for this first stage in the presence of oxygen rather than reductive which is required for phenols/higher alcohols. At that temperature rather than being stressed, the yeast will have had a whale of a time 😃
Anna

Last edited:
Sounds an almost ideal temperature fir a starter as they can be made at a higher temperature with the sole aim of optimising cell division rather than anaerobic metabolism. V little by way of fusel alcohols will have been produced since the conditions remain oxidative for this first stage in the presence of oxygen rather than reductive which is required for phenols/higher alcohols. At that temperature rather than being stressed, the yeast will have had a whale of a time 😃
Anna

good to know I think but a bit weary as the last beer I accidentally fermented high I had to dump! I guess I need to make sure I separate the yeast and don’t ad any of the beer when decanting. Cold crash it most likely and put brew day back a day

good to know I think but a bit weary as the last beer I accidentally fermented high I had to dump! I guess I need to make sure I separate the yeast and don’t ad any of the beer when decanting. Cold crash it most likely and put brew day back a day
The amount of beer in a starter proportionate to a beer shouldn't really affect it that way, it would be more suspicious of infection if it affected the whole batch.

Yeast starters are typically supposed to be fermented warmer than the beer since the aim is for yeast growth not alcohol production.
https://beerandwinejournal.com/better-yeast-starters/
3.) Ferment “Warm”
Yeast grow best at temperatures above which good beer is made. Unless you plan to pitch your entire yeast starter, raise your yeast above normal ale fermentation temperatures. Holding your yeast starter around 80–85 °F (27–29 °C) will work well. Not only will the yeast grow healthily, your starter will ferment quickly.​

However, most instructions I've ever read refer to fermenting starters at 'room temperature' though with the fermenting heat created I can easily see how that would be 25-27 deg C.

Anna

Ok so I’ll let it cold crash during the week and just poured excess wort off.

Doesn’t look like I’m left with much? Something gone wrong I am thinking! 3C9CF771-78A5-404B-9298-59F133D1D7EE.jpeg6222E0CF-AB6C-4F3B-9D41-7139289508BB.jpeg

Ok so I’ll let it cold crash during the week and just poured excess wort off.

Doesn’t look like I’m left with much? Something gone wrong I am thinking!View attachment 44896View attachment 44897
If that was done on a stir plate then I'd have expected a little more than that, and I'd also expect the colour to be a light tan topped with a slightly darker, thin layer of DME trub instead of that uniform milk chocolate colour. Did you make it with a dark DME and somehow mix up the DME trub with the yeast?

Also, to protect the yeast it's best to leave it under the spent wort until you're ready to pitch it. WLP007 flocculates hard and fast so decanting off the spent wort is easy.

I replace the spent wort with around 1/2lt of wort taken around 10-15 mins into the boil and crash cooled. I return to the stir plate, or shake as much as possible, then by the time the wort is boiled and cooled the yeast is up and running and ready to go. This also acclimatises the yeast to the wort it's going to work with. Been doing this around 40 years and it's never let me down.

If that was done on a stir plate then I'd have expected a little more than that, and I'd also expect the colour to be a light tan topped with a slightly darker, thin layer of DME trub instead of that uniform milk chocolate colour. Did you make it with a dark DME and somehow mix up the DME trub with the yeast?

Also, to protect the yeast it's best to leave it under the spent wort until you're ready to pitch it. WLP007 flocculates hard and fast so decanting off the spent wort is easy.

no stir plate, but i shook it a lot before I cold crashed it for a week, as missed my brew window last weekend. Ended up swirling some of the cooled wort with it before adding it to the rest. Looked to me be more there once it was all shook up. Bubbler very active next morning when I checked so hopefully all good.👍

Back