Question regarding faster fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMB

Reaction score
Morning all. My current brew - a 23 litre batch of all grain pale ale - is fermenting like mad! OG was 1.042 and fermentation started 12 hours after pitching, as per normal.

The fermentation is a lot more lively than normal though, and in just 30 hours of active fermentation the gravity has dropped to 1.013. Is this normal? I've done this batch before (same grain bill, same yeast, same temperature, same pressure) and it normally takes 3 days or so to reach this gravity. Does this sometimes happen and certain batches just ferment quicker than others, despite seemingly identical conditions?

I do mainly kit brews and some small AG batches - over the years I have seen (visible) fermentation from one day to one week. Of course even if everything has calmed down fermentation is still active.
I don't think with simple brewing setups we can create a consistent process, unlike commercial breweries with the resources at their disposal. Wouldn't really worry about this aspect.

Even though it's the same yeast, could it be that the batch of yeast is a lot fresher than other previous ones?

Morning all. My current brew - a 23 litre batch of all grain pale ale - is fermenting like mad! OG was 1.042 and fermentation started 12 hours after pitching, as per normal.

The fermentation is a lot more lively than normal though, and in just 30 hours of active fermentation the gravity has dropped to 1.013. Is this normal? I've done this batch before (same grain bill, same yeast, same temperature, same pressure) and it normally takes 3 days or so to reach this gravity. Does this sometimes happen and certain batches just ferment quicker than others, despite seemingly identical conditions?
Do you know what temps the brews have been at?
I do mainly kit brews and some small AG batches - over the years I have seen (visible) fermentation from one day to one week. Of course even if everything has calmed down fermentation is still active.
I don't think with simple brewing setups we can create a consistent process, unlike commercial breweries with the resources at their disposal. Wouldn't really worry about this aspect.

Temp has been at 20C. Agree that it could be the batch of yeast, or just a variable that us homebrewers don't has as much control over a the pros. Anyway, main is it all seems to be chugging along nicely.

Back