Pump materials

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
Can any of you that are "in the know" tell me if there are any any problems with the following materials being in contact with wort / beer
Pump body :ABS ; Seals: Nitrile ; Strainer: Polypropylene; Impeller: Stainless Steel/PBT ; Cable: PVC :wha:

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Not sure about the abs or PBT :hmm: but the rest is o.k.
Whale pumps came up in my search and they are typically used for caravan water supplies, so should be food safe.
IIRC my whale pump is only rated to 60 deg c, and flow rates drop dramatically the nearer you get

Whale

EDIT, now I've realised it may be submersible I'm not sure about the pvc either

I was looking at the submersible/in-line pumps and there are some rated to 80C such as THIS ONE.
I would be using it to shift wort from an underback to the copper and then from the copper after cooling to the FV so it would be only lightly used. I know they are fine for potable water I was just concerned about a hot mildly acid solution ;)

Magic :party:
I just found another pump I'd fogotten I had :roll:
It's a mini demand pump as used in caravans, motorhomes etc. Can't find that much info on it though, it's a Flopump FL-2202 as in this one

I have a pump issue :rofl:

Latest posts

Back