Pub Style Cylinder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Jacoby

Reaction score
I recently laid my hands on this pub style cylinder (it's green on top which I think means its a mixed gas cyliber. Nitrogen/Co2?):

th_Cylinder.jpg

I was hoping to use it with this twin regulator that I bought off Norm:

th_Regulator.jpg

I've been told that this regulator is supposed to be used with Co2 cylinders only. Is this right? Is there any way I could purge the cyclinder and fill it with just Co2?

Also, the connections on the cylinder and regulator are both female:

th_RegulatorInput2.jpg
th_CylinderOutput.jpg

Assuming I can use the regulator with this cylinder, is there an adaptor out there I could use to connect the two? The cylinder will be used in conjunction with a couple of cornies (also bought off Norm). Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

No reputable supplier will fill that cylinder with CO2. You also won't find an adaptor to fit it unless you have it machined yourself.

Just get hold of a CO2 cylinder, there's enough suppliers around (depending where you are).

Welcome to the forum Dr ;)

That regulator has the correct fitting for CO2. The bottle does not. You could potentially but an Argon regulator for use in welding and then take the connector off that but it's not ideal.

I get my pub gas bottles from a local brewing industry wholesaler (no need to be a registered retailer - just walk in and ask for a CO2 cylinder). When I need a refill, I just take the bottle back and they give me a full one for £7.50.

Out of interest, does anyone know the name of the CO2 style connection on a CO2 bottle? - e.g. thread name and pitch etc :hmm:

Welcome Doc.
You can buy a standard adaptor from CO2 cylinder to welding type regulator. :D
As James said just get a CO2 bottle, very economical compared to those HB or bulb. :cry:
As

Thanks for the replies! I've been hovering around the forum for a while now. Glad to be on board. It's a brilliant resource.

Yea, I suspected I'd have to get a proper Co2 cylinder. I live in Ireland and they can be expensive over here :? Time to start searching so...

Latest posts

Back