PT100 cable

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer taster

Reaction score
Hi All

I need to extend the cable on one of my 3 wire PT100 sensors, can I do this? do I need any special cable? should I use a shielded cable?

Mark

if you want to check before hand temporally add the extra wire and see if there is a temp difference, I should not imagine it will be that great as it is resistance dependant.

It might make a difference in two wire mode. In three or four wire mode, the unit can compensate for lead length.

The ideal way of attaching pt100/extending wires is to use a capacitive discharge welder which ensures that the junction has the lowest possible resistance, and is not subject to galvanic corrosion . .. or other forms of corrosion . . . I've had reasonable success using low melting point silver solder (sold by maplin).

As James has said it's easier and more reliable extending 3 wire PT100's as they self compensate for the lead (To some extent) . . . but your PID should allow you to manually correct it anyway

Excellent thanks guys, :thumb: ............ off to maplins to get some wire and experiment later

Latest posts

Back