Pressure Valve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robm1955

Reaction score
I posted last year, about problems with a pressure valve. It was a Youngs U brew CO2 injector that I was having problems with. When I tried to inject co2 into the barrel, as soon as the co2 cartridge was pierced, it shot out of the holder, which is supposed to be specifically made for the capsule. I wasted quite a few, and never really got a good head on my beer. What I'm looking for is suggestions/recommendations. I don't want the same problem this year.

I am slightly confused at what your asking for?

What barrel is it?

Also its unlikely you will be able to force carbonate with a cheap plastic barrels, the CO2 injectors are normally used to force the beer out of the barrel rather than allowing air to take its place which could potentially ruin a brew.

I think widgetworld do some sought of mini gas set-up, but if its force carbonating you want I would suggest going down the corny keg route.

http://www.homebrewcentre.co.uk/categories.asp?cID=143

If its a youngs plastic key with a barrel adapter for a small C02 bottle attachment you cant inject the Co2 in doses with that kit. Mine is the same and once you break the seal on the canister if you un screw the canister holder it wuill just vent the C02 to atmosphere.

I fixed my C02 lid to the barrel and left the canister attacher permenantly, the onl;y prob is after about half of the barrel is empty it seems not to have enough volume, even when I added succesive canisters.

My plan is to used sugars in a second fermentation to generate the Co2 layer required rather than force carbing it.

Hope this helps

Have you tried taping the bulb into the holder before you attempt to screw it in. i had one similar but the bulb was totally enclosed in the end which screwed on to engage it. i recall seeing ones with open adaptors and the bulb retention looked a bit shakey, relying on a knob of raised plastic to retain the bulb. if a bulb was not sitted correctly and pressed on this plastic when being screwed in it could compress the plastic and then allow the bulb just to pop out??

gas leaking could be a rubber seal gone, there should be an o ring securing the bulb neck check n replace.. my old one had a bulkhead opposite the bulb this could be depressed twisted and removed, inside was a spring and a rubber seal.. try n check if yours is the same..

have you tried soaking it in cleaning solution, beer may have splashed up inside n glued it together?

if u cant service or fix it, replace it with something tried n tested like an s30 adaptor n bigger gas bottle.

Jaffa said:
I use this http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/2-cap-com ... valve.html

And this

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/spare-red ... older.html

Once the canister is breached there is no way to remove tha canister without venting it to atmos, but your right I could have a C02 leak on the valve. However I found the pressure to great pouring was entertaining to say the least.

thats the s30 valve and a bulb adaptor, with that setup the idea is to prime the barrel with a little fermantable sugars and let the build up the pressure and give the beer a lil life. when you start to draw the beer the pressure will slowley drop with each pint, when it gets weak and before your in danger of letting air bubble back thru the tap, load a bulb n fill with gas until the pressure drops again and repeat :)

Im surprised it lets the gas out tho i used the s30 valves with then screw on sparklets big bottles 200g co2? id screw it on til it engaged , give a lil twist to let a lil gas in and unscrew it the valve kept the pressure in the barrel? perhaps its just the balanced gas under pressure in the bulb thats escaping, if not i would inspect the rubber seals on the valve n replace them.

Thanks Jaffa/PhatFil, that's exactly what I use, but for some reason, last time didn't work. The good news is that this time, I had the best batch of home brew, I've ever had. I didn't only need to use one CO2 bulb, after about 20/25 pints. I also put a new tap on the barrel, as the last one somehow got a split where the beer comes out. This now leads me to another question. I lubricated both the cap/valve seal, and tap seal with vaseline. Do I leave the tap in place, and just run sanitizing fluid through it now the barrel is empty? Also, the previous cap I used, which wouldn't allow the gas in, looked in a different state to when I put it on the barrel, a bit like 'limescale'. Do I need to do anything to the cap also, so it's clean for next time?

Robm1955 said:
Thanks Jaffa/PhatFil, that's exactly what I use, but for some reason, last time didn't work. The good news is that this time, I had the best batch of home brew, I've ever had. I didn't only need to use one CO2 bulb, after about 20/25 pints. I also put a new tap on the barrel, as the last one somehow got a split where the beer comes out. This now leads me to another question. I lubricated both the cap/valve seal, and tap seal with vaseline. Do I leave the tap in place, and just run sanitizing fluid through it now the barrel is empty? Also, the previous cap I used, which wouldn't allow the gas in, looked in a different state to when I put it on the barrel, a bit like 'limescale'. Do I need to do anything to the cap also, so it's clean for next time?

good to hear the beer was good.. if your asking if you need to strip the tap down and sterilise it each use? you can, but should not need to, as long as every aspect that will come into contact with the beer is cleaned and sterilised your ok, the same goes for the cap and valve. tho a strip n clean wont hurt you should not need to do it every time...

Sorry for the long delay, but thanks PhatFill. I think I remove them and clean them, every couple of brews. Thanks for your advice. :drink:

Back