Pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there i'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times but every where i look i get different information and my head is swimming. I am about to order this pressure barrel and c02

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/index.php ... bulbs.html

to use with my cider and bitters but was wondering will it actually make my cider more fizzy or just push it out the bottle as the last batch i made was bottled and came out quite flat so would like a little more gas in there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No, it won't carbonate, just add pressure to get it out. You will need to prime with sugar to carbonate through secondary fermentation.

ericstd said:
Short of using "Cornies"m the best way to condition is in pint or 500ml bottles.

Agreed if (unlike me) you can be bothered with bottling 5 gallons of beer; I find bottling large amounts a pain in the a*se! I tend to do 23l batch, put around 19l in a Corny then bottle the rest.

ash said:
I tend to do 23l batch, put around 19l in a Corny then bottle the rest.
I do exactly that with my TC, 12 ltrs in the keg (still cider) and 12 ltrs in 500ml PET bottles.
With beer, it all goes in the keg!

Ive ordered a corny and relevant stuff, and i have a kit cider brewing do i just need to add it straight to the corny keg without priming and do i need to add finings or anything first or just transfer straight to keg?
Thanks in advance...

I don't do "cornies" (yet) but I understand the idea is that you can pressurise to something like 60psi which would knock the need to prime on the head.

ericstd said:
I don't do "cornies" (yet) but I understand the idea is that you can pressurise to something like 60psi which would knock the need to prime on the head.
Yes and then you can ask the question why does my beer pour all froth, and have no fizz :roll:

You pressurise to deliver the correct amount of carbonation you desire for the style you are dispensing, at the temperature you are serving at. . . . For my setup 3psi at 13C gives ales with a cask conditioned level of carbonation . . .12 psi gives my lagers a nice degree of carbonation, and a good rising bead without being over fizzy.

Latest posts

Back