pressure barrel question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not meaning to hijack this (old) thread but I need some help.

I've got a party coming up at the end of Feb and have a Wherry nearing the end of initial fermentation.
I've just been into Wilko and bought a pressure barrel with the idea of holding the Wherry beer for the party.
I've not bought the CO2 injector or little canisters though, I'm hoping that all the barrel will go at the party.

So will I be ok conditioning the beer in the PB with the CO2 and pressure generated by secondary fermentation? :wha:

matjam said:
Not meaning to hijack this (old) thread but I need some help.

I've got a party coming up at the end of Feb and have a Wherry nearing the end of initial fermentation.
I've just been into Wilko and bought a pressure barrel with the idea of holding the Wherry beer for the party.
I've not bought the CO2 injector or little canisters though, I'm hoping that all the barrel will go at the party.

So will I be ok conditioning the beer in the PB with the CO2 and pressure generated by secondary fermentation? :wha:

Hi matjam,

If you plan on drinking the beer in one night it should be fine. You have plenty of time for secondary (recommended 2 weeks in the warm) and also clarification (as long as possible in the cold). By the time of your party your beer should be well carbed and clear, however drinking pints in quick succession will release a lot of pressure in the keg which will lead to the beer being dispensed slowly and eventually oxygen being sucked in through the tap, oxidising the beer. This can be counteracted with CO2 injections which will add more pressure for dispensing. Since you plan on drinking it all that night oxygenation shouldn't be a problem, and I would recommend if dispensing the beer does slow to a trickle, the best thing to do would be to open the lid to allow the beer to flow out the tap easier. This isn't advised for beer which is not gonna be drunk in a short space of time as the oxygen which comes in to contact with the beer will spoil it afterwards. Drank within the same night will be fine however!

Good luck with the party :cheers:

Just had a sneak taste of my bitter after it's been pressure barreled for 3 days... wow, it's lovely - I mean really nice. It was warm yeah as I'm still priming, but it was really well gassed, tasted very alcoholic and all round tasted good. It's only my second brew (and my sneak taste of my first Coopers Cerveza was, erm, not very good) so I'm well pleased it's worked out, and the pressure barrel is definitely not leaking.

Back