Powering a grape mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have just picked up what appears to be an old hand-cranked grape mill, although the vendor was of the opinion that it was for breaking up cattle cake, which may well be the case.
It consists of a galvanised hopper, 18 x 18 inches with a hollow cast aluminium drum at the base, covered in conical 'spikes' 1 cm high, with some longer ones for grip, which, when turned by a metal shaft fixed through the centre of the cylinder to a handle, pass between an array of cast aluminium 'teeth' beneath. The cylinder is 10 inches long and 4 inches in diameter. The whole thing is mounted on a wooden 'stretcher' which can be placed over a collecting bin, although this could be very unstable! A better idea would be to place it top of a defunct gas barbeque, with the collector in place of the gas bottle!
The lower interior of the hopper is sound but has lost most of it's galvanic coating and therefore needs rust treatment plus a coating of 'food safe' primer and plastic paint to prevent the acid in the grapes from reacting with the exposed steel, which. I have discovered, turns the juice black!
In the past, I have used 'foot power' to crush the grapes, but processing up to 80 kilos has to be done in batches and is tedious and somewhat messy. Using this device should enable me to process gallons of pulp in a single batch but I anticipate considerable arm ache as a result!
So I would like to fit an electric motor but I am no engineer. The drive shaft is 20 mm diameter, so a variable speed electric drill could not be directly attached to the end, and anyway, I am not sure this would deliver sufficient torque. I have seen hand-powered apple crushers with the handle mounted on the outside edge of a heavy flywheel and geared, which is why they are expensive and very heavy. Although grapes are nothing like as hard as apples, my 75 kilos of foot power still takes some crushing time. Apart from raw power, the revs have to be right. I certainly don't want to puree the pips and stems!
Ideas, anyone?

hmmmm.....

That sounds like a fascinating little puzzle to solve... - there must be engineering forums out there who could help, but in their absence I will suggest a medium to large flywheel attached to the grinder spindle, and that flywheel be driven via a belt by a much smaller wheel powered by your drill.

Drills do have plenty of torque, although I believe they are not really designed for prolonged use under load, so you may need a tougher motor that can handle a sustained load....

I wish you the best of luck sorting this out - and I look forward to the pictures of the subsequent build too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

any chance of you posting a pic of it so we can have a look at what we are working with, there might be some readily availible bits that could be used to make it work, I know machine mart sell electric motors and belt pullies that could do the job but you might need to alter a few bits to make it all work

if you're just crushing grapes then a 1/4 horse power motor attached to the stretcher and connected to the shaft with a pulley assembly would be more than sufficient. If it's easy to turn over, perhaps even an old sewing machine motor would be sufficient as you'll be able to gear down the speed using the pulleys which will in turn increase the torque at the roller. You'd need a way to tension the belt on the pulley - make the holes for mounting the motor elongated so you can pull the motor back to tension the belt and then tighten down. Motor can probably be picked up at a reasonable cost off the internet or ebay. Pulleys from Machine Mart, Fenner Power Transmission or a number of other places.

Hope this is of some help!
Phil

Many thanks. I recall an old machine gun placement in Toledo, dating back to the Spanish Civil War, driven by a captured Harley Davidson. I also remember committing an old old Singer to the loft. I will investigate when the weather gets better!

Latest posts

Back