Possible corny keg problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifebrewer

Reaction score
First off I am new to the world of kegging and have received my first corny keg in the post today.

the keg come under pressure which i vented on arrival. after doing this I was inspecting the keg and noticed that the poppet on the gas post looked like it was pushed down if i put my mouth around the post (I know I shouldn't do this but I don't have any gas yet) I can blow air in to the keg without pressing the poppet down. when there is air in the keg the pressure pushes the poppet up a bit and holds it in place however if I run my finger over it with not much pressure at all the air vents throw the post.

After some googleing I cant find out if this is normal or not. I don't know if it will be help in place or not when under pressure from co2. or even if this will be a problem at all.

Hope that make sense.

Thanks

I have had a few kegs where I had to replace the poppets because they just would not seat right. It's a good sign that it arrived still holding pressure. When you have your CO2, attach it and turn it on. Remove the disconnect and put some soapy water on the post and see if you get any bubbling around the poppet.

I have a keg or two where the poppet does not sit flush with the top of the post but it still works fine. You can always replace the poppet/post if it's suspect. I've done that for 2 of mine now.

Baz

Will probably need a new poppet mate. If you have a 22mm spanner take it of and compare it to the gas side valve. Just an idea :thumb:

Sometimes taking the o-ring off and turning it over then reapplying can sort these issues.

K

I don't know if you got if from Norm, but if you did, and there is a problem when you gas it up and check just let him know. I had one do pretty much the same thing and he sent me a replacement poppet :thumb:

Check first though as suggested, you'll probably find a bit of pressure will seat it again.

Thanks for the advice. I will hopefully be picking up some gas next week and will give it a go under pressure. I did swap the poppets over from the out side and had the same problem ( both poppets work fine on the out side).

Back