Please help - it’s been a while 😃

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nucleuz00uk

Reaction score
Hi all it’s been awhile !!!

Could you help me please ? Apple wine

I know this method will vary from person to person and I’ve derived it from a few recipes to meet my timings as the apples had to be blitzed and I didn’t have all the gear I needed but could I check my plan with you before I go any further ?

This is where I’ve got so far and my written plan moving onward 😃

Picked apples - 70% cooking 30% sharp eaters. ✔️

Added 25 kg to food processor. ✔️

Split into to 3 fermenting buckets 8.3 kg apples each bucket and topped each bucket up yo 15L mark to cover fruit ✔️

My theory is if it’s a fiery fermentation there’s plenty of space - when it calms down i can transfer to 2 buckets - then after fruit has been strained - 1 ✔️

Topped each bucket up to 15 litres with hot clean water to cover apples ✔️

Added 2 Camden tablets between the three buckets ✔️

1pm today will be 24 hrs. ✔️

Moving forward - add 1 1/2 teaspoons pectolase to each bucket when it arrives today to help with sharpness and to break down fruit

Add chopped and washed sultanas - 250g in each bucket.

After 24 hrs add remaining campden tablets ( 2 per bucket ?) to ensure all dodgy bacteria is gone ?

Take ph reading and amend acidity if required

Leave 12-24 hrs

Add sugar ( 3.25kg per bucket ) and then check gravity reading - should be between 1.070 And 1.090. If not - amend.

When correct gravity reading add yeast nutrient (3 teaspoons Per bucket and yeast starter. ( made of 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast for each bucket .

Let fermentation commence - final gravity reading should be 0.990 for dry or 1.050 for sweet.

Rack in between and monitor.

When should I remove fruit and is the above technique ok please ?

Should I take aPH reading before adding sugar ?

Should I also start with less sugar than 3.25kg and add more if I need to at first gravity reading ?

It’s been a long time since I’ve done this process and constructive criticism always welcomed
🙏 🙏

Interesting way of doing it. I presume you haven't got a press and are not able to work with just the juice. Are you counting on the juice being extracted by osmosis? How much wine are you hoping to end up with from each bucket? I'm not sure your OG is going to be very accurate, but I don't think that matters.
I would want to get the yeast in there as soon as possible. I'd certainly not use all those Campden tablets. Why not make a bath for the whole apples with plenty of Campden tablets, let them bob around in there for an hour before rinsing them with clean water and letting them dry before processing. Then add the pectic enzyme and the yeast a few hours later. You can let the mass ferment for up to a week before straining it, but I'd want to stir the mixture once or twice a day as the pulp is going to float to the top and start smelling vinegary if you don't.
In truth, while it'll work, it's a messy way of doing things and I think you're trying to apply a lot of science and controls to a method which is essentially very rustic: I don't think you're going to be able to apply those techniques meaningfully until after the strain. Why don't you get yourself a small press. I'm sure somebody's going to suggest you freeze the apples first, but I have no experience of that.
We did something similar in a 6th Form club in the early 70s using apples and crab apples. They were sliced and chopped, and no raisins were involved, but it did produce a drinkable and intoxicating "cider" which left us in a right old mess!
While making cider by the trad method of scratting and pressing, I've learned to quickly get rid of any Campden, MBS, SO2 residues before it gets into the juice. Cider should be a rich yellow colour and this comes from oxidation, SO2, as an antioxidant, prevents this and the cider stays uncoloured like water. How this relates to your wine, though, only you can say.

Last edited:
Blimey. That looks complicated. Well done that man.

Unsurprisingly I have an idle method.

Freeze, thaw thoroughly. Press. Ferment juice. Adjust brix to deliver 10% alc. Elderberry flowers or concentrate or cordial adds a brilliant finish.
Potassium metabisulphite 8-10ppm when done.

12 plastic carrier bags of apples make 50l

Anyone care to guess the yeast 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Back