Plate vs Counterflow chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I’ve been cooling my wort using an immersion chiller for the last couple of years, but hate the amount of water this wastes. I do collect what I need for cleaning, but still waste huge amounts.
I understand that both plate and counterflow chillers are much more efficient, but can anyone say approx how much water they use to cool (approx 27L) from boiling to pitching using either of these?
And I’ve read that plate chillers are more efficient, but any horror stories with clogging up? Or is this more of a myth?

Cheers,

I use the grainfather counterflow chiller. The slower you put the tap water through it, the longer it takes but the less water is uses overall. I haven't measured it, but I recon I use maybe 100L in the summer and maybe a bit less in the winter to cool 23L of wort.

The difference with plate/counterflow chillers is that you are not trying to cool the entire volume at once, like you are with an immersion chiller. Once you have your opposing wort/water flows "balanced" so the output temperature of the chilled wort is where you want it to be, you can direct the output straight in to your FV...unlike with an immersion chiller which is trying to chill all 27 litres in situ.

If you have the ability to recirculate your wort within the kettle whilst using an immersion chiller, then that will speed up your cooling times as it will bring more hot wort into contact with your cooling coils.

If I give my plate chiller the full beans it cools 25 litres from boiling to about 18C in 10 minutes using about 150 litres but it can use less if you’re prepared for it to take a little longer.

Yes, plate chillers can get mucky because you get a gradual build up of stuff that really only caustic soda can clean effectively - too many narrow channels to simply flush with general cleaning agents, though this is fine between brews. Not a big deal though, every 50 brews or so give it a flush through with some caustic.

I do like my plate chiller though because it’s easy to use, neat, and very compact. I couldn’t be doing with those bulky immersion chillers or counter-flow chillers with their big coils of copper pipe and tangled hoses 😉

Thanks guys.
Sounds like I might not be saving a load of water, but would save a lot of time.
Really good to have your real life experience.

And yep, I know I could leave it to cool, but my family might complain even more than they do already 😉

I just found this on the grainfather site.
Our counter flow chillers (G30, G40 and G70) can cool down your wort to within 3-5°C (37.4-41°F) of your groundwater temperature which will take approximately 30 minutes.

I'm not sure that's how unit conversions work 🤣

I’ve never had a clog in over 300 brews but my hops are always in a, I use a bazooka, and I use a grain basket so my wort is grain/hop free. I do disagree with the flow rate being poor, the wort coming out of my plate chiller could feed a fountain.

Those narrow channels in the plate chiller will quickly block though if you have grain and hops floating about in the wort.

As is often the case the right solution is the one that fits your processes and setup.

I like being sure that my immersion chiller is definately sterile, and would worry that unsterile solids might detach, when using alternative systems.
If I had a counterflow/plate, I'd definitely be running fairly strong oxy-clean through after every batch (while doing system pump, pipes etc).

I always use a fairly slow tap water flow, and have recirc going which reduces water use a lot. Also, I collect the first 15l or so of very hot waste, to use for cleaning later.
I can understand concerns about water usage, but I'm in North Scotland, so no shortage of water, and tap water's typically a few degrees cooler here, so less needed anyway.

Latest posts

Back