Plastic barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vossy1 said:
Interesting. Can they take boiling liquids safely?

I've seen them being used for just that purpose :thumb:

[quote:ai4lc2c9]Could be a cheaper HERMS option (obviously not shiny enough though ).

It would be like cricket without the stumps :lol:[/quote:ai4lc2c9]
eskimobob said:
Interesting. Can they take boiling liquids safely? Could be a cheaper HERMS option (obviously not shiny enough though :lol: ).

I once lived next door to a drum recycler,a bit pikey and didn’t wash his hands either, neither did his dogs :sick: :roll:But if you're into that end of the market :?:

Hope I didn't offend your sensibilities there V :wha: . I'm seriously wary about buying used or unsealed "food" quality stuff and factual when I described my experiences of drum dealers.
The guy had a compound next to my unit for four years until the taxman caught up with him and he disappeared, the mess he left was terrible. Food grade and chemical came in on the same wagon and were dumped in a heap and sorted later. The guard dogs had the run of the place :!: Not worth the risk for a few quid I'd say :?:

Vossy1 said:
Hope I didn't offend your sensibilities there V

I read your post and put my own words in :wha: :wha: I can honestly say I don't remember the post above and recollect an entirely different post....I have a fertile imagination :lol:

Fng Turbo in my case :roll:

eskimobob said:
Interesting. Can they take boiling liquids safely? Could be a cheaper HERMS option (obviously not shiny enough though :lol: ).

I think they can take boiling liquids, but in one isolated instance a supplier of waste cooking oil poured some boiling oil into one of my containers (l used to collect waste cooking oil when it was worth money), and they said the container melted. I'd never had that happen before or since, and it could well have been a convenient way of disappearing one of my containers full of lucrative oil that they probably thought l wasn't paying them enough money for!

Kingfisher said:
Hope I didn't offend your sensibilities there V :wha: . I'm seriously wary about buying used or unsealed "food" quality stuff and factual when I described my experiences of drum dealers.
The guy had a compound next to my unit for four years until the taxman caught up with him and he disappeared, the mess he left was terrible. Food grade and chemical came in on the same wagon and were dumped in a heap and sorted later. The guard dogs had the run of the place :!: Not worth the risk for a few quid I'd say :?:

I am not a drum recycler in the common usage of the phrase. I do not granulate plastic, nor do l collect from any old location. I'm more of a drum re-use supplier. All of my drums come from food places and they are labelled as such too (they have writing printed on them). The drums are typically ex- mango chutney or lime pickle, which would give a great Tiger Beer taste.

Anyway, l have lots of overstock right now, with more coming in all the time:

--> 200-300 x 30-litre open top with screw lids @ £2 each

--> 400-1,000 x 50-litre open top with screw lids @ £2.50 each

Collection only, unless delivery is absolutely necessary (l will have to arrange a large vehicle for transport). However, the lucky person who collects can have as many 5-litre buckets (with lids) as l have in stock (presently about 300) for free.

Very nice offer on the 5ltr buckets, and great prices on the others B :cool:

The drums are typically ex- mango chutney or lime pickle, which would give a great Tiger Beer taste.

:rofl: ....suddenly I feel like cheese and crackers...hmmm

FWIW, cooking oil boils at a much higher temp than water or wort, I'm not surprised the bucket melted :shock:

brewlabboffin said:
Supplier ships nationwide - food grade barrels roughly £11 and carriage £55 per pallet of 8 or part thereof. Friendly and personable on the phone, happy to advise.

http://www.dvfuels.co.uk/

Are you impartial, because this just happened to look like spam?

I'm familiar with the supplier in question though, as they're just up the road from me. I bought some big blue barrels for my allotment.

Back