Placcy Boiler build.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownsplit

Reaction score
Just made my first placcy boiler with kettle elements converted and wired with a hot socket from maplins used a 15mm ball valve tap and a 15mm flanged compression tank connector just fired it up to test for leaks no leaks and got a rolling boil, at this moment in time I am only using one element and I only filled the 30ltr vessel half full or half empty if you prefer I am a little nervous about the flimsiness of the container especially when turning the tap handle it seems to pull it out of shape, bottle was twitching a bit has anyone else experienced the same thing with their build I think the health and safety has gone out the window "I don't feel right with it"
I think in the new year I might invest in a safer option and go gas & shiny boiler I could use the placcy boiler for a HLT what price can you put on safety what do you think?. :hmm:

it was a bucket that was recommended to be of sturdier substance used for boiler build.

If it's a lever type ball valve you could loosen the nut off on the top of the bv to make it easier to operate. Unfortunately with plastic there is always a wobble and it's hard to get rid of.

I've a plastic boiler as well. I've used it for three BIAB's and although the plastic does wobble I've never had a problem with it leaking or looking like it'll come off. I always open and close the tap with steady pressure rather though just to be on the safe side.

Is there a special tool to tighten the flange side of the tank connector? I can't seem to get a good purchase on it one side has a nut to get a spanner on the other has two lugs can't seem to stop it all from turning when tightening.

ps I have tried to post a picture but not having much success not very good with computers just basics.

bobsbeer said:
What type/make of bucket did you use? Hopefully not a Youngs fermenter bucket. The newer ones are a bit thin to be used as a boiler.

Do'h

I wish I had read that before I made a boiler our of a 33 ltr Young's fermenter bucket this afternoon!

When I put it together I noticed that the sidewalls of the bucket were very thin and I had to get a couple of discs of ice cream tub with the same diameter hole cut into them to fill the gap in the rubber seal for the elements (otherwise it leaked a bit). I have had the boiler run a rolling boil for 15 mins and it seems "OK" but it certainly goes a little wobbly when it gets hot!

To be honest, high temperature plastic is high temperature plastic (irrespective of it's thickness), so I am not too worried about it melting, and I don't plan to be lifting it when it is full of boiling water in any case.

Fingers crossed!

Euro container buckets are quite good for this purpose. I 'sured up' the tap by making a brass washer for the outside of the bucket through which a tank connector was fitted. If your interested I will try and take a pic to show what I mean.

Robbo100 said:
bobsbeer said:
What type/make of bucket did you use? Hopefully not a Youngs fermenter bucket. The newer ones are a bit thin to be used as a boiler.

Do'h

I wish I had read that before I made a boiler our of a 33 ltr Young's fermenter bucket this afternoon!

When I put it together I noticed that the sidewalls of the bucket were very thin and I had to get a couple of discs of ice cream tub with the same diameter hole cut into them to fill the gap in the rubber seal for the elements (otherwise it leaked a bit). I have had the boiler run a rolling boil for 15 mins and it seems "OK" but it certainly goes a little wobbly when it gets hot!

To be honest, high temperature plastic is high temperature plastic (irrespective of it's thickness), so I am not too worried about it melting, and I don't plan to be lifting it when it is full of boiling water in any case.

Fingers crossed!

You should be fine as long as you don't need to move it. I have a plastic boiler, but the wall is 3mm so while it gets soft it remains stable.

here is my boiler never had a prob yet its a 60 ltr bin from home brew shop these look better than a standard fem bin :thumb:

60ltrboil-3.jpg

60ltrboil-2.jpg

60ltrboil-1.jpg

Nice work.

Do you not cover the external parts of the elements in case of boil-over or splashing?

yes i should but as 60 ltr bin and only do standard brews ie 36 ltr max pre boil in loads of head space :thumb:
the only thing i may do if was going to build one again more space between elements :thumb:

Robbo100 said:
Nice work.

Do you not cover the external parts of the elements in case of boil-over or splashing?

Latest posts

Back