Picking my hops - now? anyone know what they are by sight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendeneo

Reaction score
Hi all,

This year my hedge has grown a lot of wild hops...... fantastic.

I dont know what they are, so have added a couple of pictures.... anyone know what they are?

Also on some of the plants you can see some are going brown..... have I left it too late?

Thanks

Ben

104_0216.jpg

104_0219.jpg

105_0222.jpg

105_0225.jpg

yep they are hops alright ;) beyond that i cant help id em, though anything wild isnt going to be a known strain. afaik when they breed you get a combination of both the male plant and the female so the the resulting seed is neither, so all Challenger hops for example are all cloned off the same mother plant by cuttings or rhizome replanting.

Only thing to do is rub em in your hands and if they smell like a brewing hop give em a go with your fingers crossed, you will either have your own private winner or have a less than spectacular brew.. got to be worth it ;)

^^^ what Fil said. On the other hand new strains are created by cross breeding so your back yard mongrel might be the next Kent Golding. Why not brew up a hop tea and see if you like the taste?

Latest posts

Back