Open Fermentation and/or Different Fermenter Geometry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I picked up the bit about transferring to the secondary before primary fermentation is complete.

Also hadn’t thought about using it for lagers because of the lack of protective krausen. There is a comment about the ester profile which is intriguing. 34/70 at 15c might be ok. 🤔

And, if you go hunting for it, there are quite a few references (or at least suggestions) out there that Czech Pilsner is (or was!) traditionally fermented open. I'm sure I saw a fairly recent-ish looking picture the other day of a row of massive open vats at (I think) Pilsner Urquell.

My own notes fermenting Czech Pils with Wyeast 2278 mention a decent measurement forming.

I'm quite interested to try fermenting one open at some point, but for now I'm sticking to what I know works - due to various experiments I keep making mediocre beer lately and I don't want rubbish beer on tap when Xmas rolls around 🫤

Bottled them. Both batches had cleared nicely. Now carbing up.

Top image is the open ferment, bottom is closed. I noticed that the closed one foamed when I added the sugar so there must have been more dissolved CO2 in it. I considered that one covered rather than sealed so I wouldn't have thought there would have been any pressure. Maybe it doesn't need much or maybe there's another explanation.

IMG_7697.jpg

IMG_7699.jpg

Latest posts

Back