Olde time porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRook

Landlord.
Reaction score
My attempt to brew an 1800s porter using modern ingredients.
Screenshot_20241011-095140.png

Just bought "the modern homebrewer" camra book, has the Anspach n Hobday porter recipe in,

Though it doesn't say im guessing it's 19ltr batch 6.5kg grain bill 6.7abv

Pale malt 77%
Amber 7.7%
Chocolate 7.7%
Black 7.7%

Hops are EKG 100g and Cascade 80g IBU 42
Us05 yeast

Im going to try a tweeted version of this, ive got everything bar the Amber malt n cascade hops, got brown malt and challenger hop so might get something approaching what it should taste like? Might even lower the abv down to 4-5%?

Ive been brewing stouts with approx 90g roast barley but in all this has about twice as much dark malts than I've been using in my stouts.

Im doing a 5ltr batch
800g base
80g choc
80g black
80g brown (wasn't sure if i sould have split this 50/50 with some crystal? Not sure what amber is in comparison to brown etc?)

Ive ended up with an SG of around 1.060 was going to swap out the yeast for us04 but I'll stick with us05 with the SG being higher than I expected so the attention of 05 should get me someplace near the expected FG of 1.014

Amber is light and malty. Brown can be very different in colour between different maltings there isn’t a standard for it.

Edit: just to add there are lots of 19th century porter recipes available eg from Fullers.

Seen the Fuller's recipe in 1 of my books I think? Was looking at doing the Guinness west indies porter, I'm a fan of the simpler grain bill brews as im not having to hold a million and 1 types of grain, especially in the quantities that they are used in some recipes Id have a life time supply from a 500g bag🤣🤣🤣

Back