Old beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2012 Belgian Trappist ale It's been aging beautifully, and I'm saving it for a special occasion.
Sounds good. Is it a home brew "Trappist" or a real one? If the latter, which one?
About 18 months ago a friend from Lille went over to Saint-Sixtus to pick up a crate or two of the legendary Westvleteren 12. It was very disappointing and I've still got most of it left. Hoping it's going to taste a lot better after nearly two years in the bottle.

I've some bottles of my sour beer project, from as far back as 2018, Some Stock Ales/Heritage IPA from 2019 and 2021.

From homebrew experience, buying commercially and visiting Kulminator in Antwerp that has some of the finest beers in the world aged for +10 years, that ageing any beer that isn't bretted, is deleterious after more than a couple of years. Drink it fresh.....

... Or design it to be aged.

Designed as a guide to selecting beer to age, and when to drink it. There's some useful information on the mechanisms of ageing that can be used to reverse engineer your to age better.

41ZhZwXSKsL.jpg

Last edited:
I've got 8 bottles of home made merlot (from a kit) I brewed back in 2016.
There's a good reason I've not finished them yet... ☹️

fva.png

Not my own work, but I've got a couple of bottles of Fuller's Vintage Ale, a once a year special 8.5% ABV beer. One is a 2017 vintage and the other 2022 and I had been keeping them for a special occasion.

Only a few weeks ago I noticed that they had Best Before dates, Dec 2027 for the 2017 and Dec 2025 for the 2022 beer. Guess they may need to come out and play a little earlier than expected.

My oldest is a bottle of BrewDog “Dog C” for which I’ve been trying to find the right occasion to crack open. It’s around 10 years old and is a 15.1% imperial stout.

Maybe when the house move finally goes through and I become the proud owner of three outbuildings, one of which I’ve got the nod from the boss to convert to our own little pub.

Back