Oatmeal Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sampled this yesterday and it was down to 1.019 and slowing all the time.
I seem to be getting high finishes to all my beers at present :hmm:
Either it's not enough aeration (suspected) or something else.
Worse case I'm mashing high....but I can't see that, not with 3 thermo's reading the same.

Anyway...the beer...it tastes great as it always does straight out of the fv :party:
I reckon with the substitution of some Rauch malt for pale, this could be quite close to the meantime porter that I like so much. I might be having a play with this recipe :hmm:

Racked off today

CIMG1184300x400.jpg

Hmmm a few spare pints...what should I do with these :whistle: :lol: :drink:

CIMG1186400x300.jpg

I bottled mine a couple of days ago Vossy, all I can say is :cheers: It will be great when its conditioned, and sat for a couple of months.

I'm supprised how stouty(SP?) it is out of the FV and the hops read quite well.

Nice one vossy :cheers:

Vossy - any issues with using Northdown for bittering and s04 yeast?

I ran out of beer tonight so there was only one thing for it...tap a corny of oatmeal stout....heathen, I here you cry :lol:
At least I waited until it was out of the fv :shock: :oops:

Anyhow....by god, it's as good as I remember it to be. This has to be one of the best recipes I've ever brewed.
This one is quite roasty tasting but I guess that will mellow a little if allowed to :drink: :whistle: :drink:

This does sound a good one. I cant decide if I should brew this on Friday or one of my own that I have just flung together.

Hmmmm......really fancy trying a stout...my Caledonia 80 turned out a lot more like a stout and it was good.

May be sound a stupid question but where's the best place to get oats???? Tesco?

Also I dont think my HBS has flaked barley...any ideas where to get them?

May be sound a stupid question but where's the best place to get oats???? Tesco?

Yep, Tesco value oats will do you :thumb:

Also I dont think my HBS has flaked barley...any ideas where to get them?

You don't need them...in fact the original clone recipe doesn't contain them. Just replace the flaked barley with an equal amount of Maris Otter ;)

Hi Vossy1,

Sam Smiths stouts are one of the nicest I’ve had; I’ll be giving this a go at the weekend.

Have you tried their Imperial Stout? It’s hard to find but very nice.

Cheers
Barry

ChrisG said:

I got mine from Lidl as it's closer but any porridge oats should do.

Mine were wholemeal actually (or so it said) so that might give an interesting flavour.

Hi Barry,

I don't think I've had the imperial stout :hmm:

The funny thing about the oatmeal stout is that I don't really like the bottled version, but I could taste that as a fresh beer it would taste great :lol:

Back