Oak Chips, how long, and how much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
I really really like a proper British brown ale, and i'm planning to brew some. However, when you are home brewing, you can throw allot of fun things into the recipe to get something special going.

I have tasted allot of great amber ales, that have been aged in oak barrels. I discovered that my online supplier sells oak chips, and i would really like to try it out!

I'm brewing 1 Gallon batches (so i can have allot of different brews going), so I'm wondering how much i need to put in, and how long it should be there. i want this vanilla and toffee thing going on, i don't want my pint to taste like..wood...

And I'm guessing it should be added the same way you add hops when dry hopping..

I just added 50g of bourbon soaked chips to my latest 23l brew to add a very subtle taste to it, I surpose it comes down to personal preference.

True. But I'm kind of worried that I'm going to put too much in, and leave it there for too long / too short and ruin the taste...

My idea were about 1 shot glass of chips, and leaving it in the fermenter for 1 week.

Hmmmm interesting :hmm: :hmm:

I love my oak chips and use them in the majority of my wines, including homemade fruit juice WOW types :thumb:

Never even considered using them with my beers though, let us know how you get on first :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

oldstout said:
Hmmmm interesting :hmm: :hmm:

I love my oak chips and use them in the majority of my wines, including homemade fruit juice WOW types :thumb:

Never even considered using them with my beers though, let us know how you get on first :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

I will probably make a thread about it : )

Its just a great way to add that extra little exiting detail in flavor

Hello... jist been reading about this in one of my home brew books and it advises the following:

For a 5 gallon batch there as a wide range of around 2 to 4 ounces (55 - 115g) of wood chips per batch assuming that the chips are thin and numerous.

Here is a picture of the page that im looking at... hopefully you can make out the writing.
usa9a5yr.jpg

Can any oak be used? Or does it need to be toasted etc.

I was thinking of chopping up some oak logs and using the chips to mature some stout?

It says they need to be sterilised by putting them in the oven at 150oC for 30 mins. That should dry them out well (i suppose that it depends on the size of the wood chips)

Also says that while oak is the most commonly used you can also use birch, cherry and beach.

Since i only brew 1 gallon batches at the moment, i will try to boil up 2 gallons and divide them into two separate carboys. By doing that, i can compare the exact taste differences between the oak brew, and the regular brew.

i will make a thread about it, ofc!

Only problem is that i cant decide what to brew! :wha:

Decided! it will be a Brown ale, starting in not too long.

Another question tho. Is there a problem adding the oak from the start in the fermentation process? or should i transfer it to a secondary, add the oak, and let it sit for a week..? In other words, primary or secondary...

Hi Rukula

Im all quite new to this myself and have been suckd since the beginning to the apparent "Dark Side" as far as having to even malt my own!

So im leaning each little dtail bit by bit and by way of experimenting i have all sorts of differnt fv's with different things gurgling away in them.

If you have the facility (and room!) i might sugest boiling up as much of you can of one wort recipy then pour half in to another pot.

With the half thats still on the boil throw some oak chips in... How much? No idea, be creative :D when that half has finished its boil, half it again. with one of these, now quarters, "dry oak" its FV, and the other FV it as it is.

With the half we put aside earlier split that in half again. Dry "oak" one and the last quarter leave, completely un-oaked as a controll batch.

By the end of this we have 4 demijons gurgling away. #1 boild oak + dry oak, #2 boild oak, #3 dry oak #4 natural.

With each demijohn giving 6(ish, trub and all) bottles you should have plenty to play with different aging times too.

This is very tempting now! I have a well established cherry tree in the garden that needs a heavy pruning sometime this winter... Shall have to order some more "bonbonne en verre" and play with this. Wonder if the seasoning of the wood has a particular affect too? I need a bigger garrage!

Ha ha, just read that back, think i was thinking of hops somewhere.. Boil oak? Meh why not. However, the split and experiment with dropping in during first or second ferment still stands with what i was rabbeting on about.

On another note i think this pumpkin and honey ale i knocked up is rather potent! Hic*

Nite all

Back