Not wherry clear

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltonbeerster

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new home-brewer and for my third brew I bottled a Woodfordes Wherry, having followed the instructions and added a sachet of youngs finings at the end of first fermentation, I waited a couple of days before bottling.

It's been maturing for about 6 weeks now and is great to drink, has carbonated well and has a nice fruity aroma, but it just isn't clearing. It's slightly more trancslucent now than a few weeks ago but I am finding myself having to apologise for it when pouring one for friends and family (not good when you're a perfectionist)!

My previous bottling attempts of Coopers European Lager and Mexican Cerveza were both also aided by the same finings but dropped crystal clear within a couple of weeks.

Am I just being too impatient with it being a bitter or have I made a mistake somewhere? :wha:

Well I left it under the stairs for the first few weeks for secondary fermentation but since then it's been stood upright in our special "beer fridge". Nice and cold in there and it is getting slightly better but still a bit disappointing. Should I have used double finings?

corby_brewer said:
After 6 weeks int the bottle a Werry should have cleared without the aid of any sort of finnings. Where are you storeing you beer?

Mine did, I moved mine outside to the garage after 2weeks inside in secondary - bottled/no finings

:cheers: CS

Mine had 10 days in the bucket, a week in the warm after priming and then went down the cellar where it's fairly constantly around 10-12°C. It's coming up to 12 weeks (total) now and is perfectly clear, nicely carbonated and pours almost to the bottom of the bottle. It's slightly more bitter than I would prefer, got a pleasant fruity character, has to be regarded as fairly low alcohol and is a bit too ‘wet’, I like my beers with a bit more body. I won't be brewing another.

Moley said:
Mine had 10 days in the bucket, a week in the warm after priming and then went down the cellar where it's fairly constantly around 10-12°C. It's coming up to 12 weeks (total) now and is perfectly clear, nicely carbonated and pours almost to the bottom of the bottle. It's slightly more bitter than I would prefer, got a pleasant fruity character, has to be regarded as fairly low alcohol and is a bit too ‘wet’, I like my beers with a bit more body. I won't be brewing another.

I'm with you Moley , it seems like a novelty beer for the girlies :lol: I cant drink more than one pint at a time which isnt good for my street-cred :mrgreen:

:cheers: CS

Well, following advice I've taken one out of the fridge for 24 hours and it's still pretty murky. As with other comments it's got a nice fruity aroma but isn't all that strong in terms of body or flavour. A bit disappointing really as it seems otherwise to be highly regarded and my brother-in-law has done a lovely keg from it - although that was none too clear either. Nevermind - it was an Xmas prezzie from the missus so will drink it anyway but think I'll stick to the Coopers from now on! :whistle:

I did a few wherry'ss about 10 years ago and really enjoyed them, then I found AG, I did a wherry as a comparison in Jan this year, and was that impressed with the results that I have donated the full barrel to my dad!

No more Wherry for me thanks.

UP

Back