No bubbles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okie dokie that's what I was thinking of doing can't do any wrong.
When I did this brew what I found strange was as per box instructions to put hops in and then yeast at the start because now it doesn't seem to have much taste where as When I did the bulldog bad cat homebrew I put the hops in 2 days before bottling and that brew was magical in taste and strength 💪 but I can only do what it says on the instructions.

When I did this brew what I found strange was as per box instructions to put hops in and then yeast at the start because now it doesn't seem to have much taste where as When I did the bulldog bad cat homebrew I put the hops in 2 days before bottling and that brew was magical in taste and strength 💪 but I can only do what it says on the instructions.
I've had a couple of kits like that too. I'm not convinced about it myself but if you Google biotransformation it'll give you an idea of what's going on

Cheers Tom

Just sit tight now Brian and leave it. As a newbie we would normally recommend you leave the brew for 14 days to fully ferment out as the yeast needs a couple of days after fermentation to clean itself up(that means the yeast eats any bad results of fermentation in laymans terms)so as no off flavours and at 10.16 it is not far off.
As Mashbag has said as you get a few more brews under your belt you will find what works for you and make your own system of brewing.
Let us know how you go on once finished and bottled/kegged

Just sit tight now Brian and leave it. As a newbie we would normally recommend you leave the brew for 14 days to fully ferment out as the yeast needs a couple of days after fermentation to clean itself up(that means the yeast eats any bad results of fermentation in laymans terms)so as no off flavours and at 10.16 it is not far off.
As Mashbag has said as you get a few more brews under your belt you will find what works for you and make you own system of brewing.
Let us know how you go on once finished and bottled/kegged
Absolutely...

Sorry about my earlier post, I read it as a recommendation for "super sterile nuclear hygiene" which I guess 😁 you may have spotted 😁 gets my goat 😁... Particularly with newbies.

As part of my penance for this indiscretion I haven't mentioned to Brian that some of us haven't used an airlock in years. 👍

No problem at all, I did think it was a strange reply at the time, as you know Mash I am also against the "super sterile nuclear hygiene" brigade who terrify newbies with you can not brew beer without showering in Starsan before starting :laugh8: and saying you must spend £££s on the latest tech as most people that start also have a view on saving money as well as producing beer that they like initially.
Each brewer will go the way they want and if they want to get super technical and super stainless steel shiny thats their choice but let people get some basic brewing under their belt first.
Ps we are cut from the same clothathumb..

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread but this morning after 40 odd years I found something new that may help newbies and older brewers too.
I am in the process of kegging a lager and have taken a trial jar for my FV reading and it was 1.010 now I spun th hydrometer as I always do and it was still at 1.010, then I accidentally touched the top of the lager in the trial jar and it literally dropped 2 points in front of my eyes to 1.008.
I understand surface tension but never realised it made so much difference in a trial jar so how many years have I been getting a slightly wrong reading.
Hopefully it would have been the same for the OG so all the previous readings should give a correct ABV but now I will touch the surface to break the tension on OG and FV readings.
Everyday is a school day

Nah. Once you get a few more under your belt, and you see how other people pimp kits, the opportunities are endless.
Thanks mate, I only started doing homebrew because I read somewhere that the brewery that make hobgoblin was going to close so I decided to brew my own upto now I'm loving the thought of trying all the different types of "strong darkish ale" .
Cheers Brian.

Just a quick question would it be OK to put some hops in at this stage because at the moment it tasted a bit weak? and if so can anyone recommend a hop I'm not too keen on citrus flavered ale or too fruity.
Thanks for your replies in advance 👍 Brian.

I would let this one lie Brian and plan the next one. I always like to brew a kit on its own first then can decide what it is like and tweak next time.
Adding hops late on can be ok with a little more experience but it can cause hop creep(that is it starts fermentation up again) and I think it would be wise to brew out as is.
There are ways to change your hopping just search and read threads in this forum on dry hopping

I would let this one lie Brian and plan the next one. I always like to brew a kit on its own first then can decide what it is like and tweak next time.
Adding hops late on can be ok with a little more experience but it can cause hop creep(that is it starts fermentation up again) and I think it would be wise to brew out as is.
There are ways to change your hopping just search and read threads in this forum on dry hopping
Cheers mate thanks for your advice 👍.

The St Peters brews are supposed to be really good from reports on this forum so I think you will not be disappointed in it but it is not a hobgoblin style. Search our kit reviews done by members to see which kits may suit you

The St Peters brews are supposed to be really good from reports on this forum so I think you will not be disappointed in it but it is not a hobgoblin style. Search our kit reviews done by members to see which kits may suit you
Thank you for you advice I'll have a look now, I'm new to this site so don't know my way around yet 😀.

Thank you for you advice I'll have a look now, I'm new to this site so don't know my way around yet 😀.
Hi guys, just a quick update on my St Peters golden ale homebrew did a gravity test on it on Saturday and it's ABV is around 5.2 👌 bottled it and started my next brew which is Festival old Suffolk strong ale and day 2 it's bubbling like a good un looking forward to tasting the St Peters in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back