Newbie question on bottling and corks.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bully74uk

Reaction score
Hi
My first ever homebrew, a gallon of WOW is almost ready for bottling.

Today I went to a local hotel and they very kindly let me help myself to there empty bottles.

I got a selection of green corked bottles and some nice looking clear screw top bottles complete with the tops.

I have a couple of questions.

1, Can I re-use the screw tops on the clear bottles for my WOW or do I have to replace the screw tops with corks.

2, If I have to use corks, do the bottles need to be stored on there sides after bottling ?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did do a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks.

You can re-use the screw tops but sterilise them first and store the bottles upright. Caps wear quite rapidly and can probably only be re-used once or twice before they start to fail.

Screw-necked bottles tend to have a slightly larger internal diameter than corked bottles, so plastic stoppers might be a better option once the aluminium caps have lost their thread. Again, store upright.

Any corked bottles should be stored on their sides.

Moley said:
You can re-use the screw tops but sterilise them first and store the bottles upright. Caps wear quite rapidly and can probably only be re-used once or twice before they start to fail.

Screw-necked bottles tend to have a slightly larger internal diameter than corked bottles, so plastic stoppers might be a better option once the aluminium caps have lost their thread. Again, store upright.

Any corked bottles should be stored on their sides.

On hand to help me out again Moley, thanks.

Bully74uk said:
Hi
My first ever homebrew, a gallon of WOW is almost ready for bottling.

Today I went to a local hotel and they very kindly let me help myself to there empty bottles.

I got a selection of green corked bottles and some nice looking clear screw top bottles complete with the tops.

I have a couple of questions.

1, Can I re-use the screw tops on the clear bottles for my WOW or do I have to replace the screw tops with corks.

2, If I have to use corks, do the bottles need to be stored on there sides after bottling ?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I did do a search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Thats a great way to get bottles think I might have a word with my local landlord!

Back