Newbie problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooks

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into making beer after a lengthy break. I'm suddenly faced with what is a daft problem. I've used my old Hambleton Bard barrel and replaced the cap, which looked a bit dodgy, with a new one complete with new brass valves. The input valve has a concave base inside with a little hole - there's no spike. I needed to top up the gas but when I screwed a new cylinder of gas onto it - nothing! Have I got the wrong equipment or possibly a non-working cylinder? Apologies if this is a bit pathetic but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

What are you trying to screw in, the HB gas cylinders just screw on to the top of the inlet and the pin in them is push down when you have screwed it far enough in, you only gas them for a few seconds at a time.
Or are you trying to use the old small CO2 canisters that are used for the soda makers? If so I think you need an adapter or a new s30 bottle.

It's a newly refilled HB cylinder but when I screw it in there's no gas. Either I've got the wrong brass valve or there's something wrong with the cylinder.

OK can you press down the pin on the cylinder? It should be very stiff if it is full of gas, or perhaps a better way is weigh it, the tare weight should be on the side of it. Mine says 900g so yours should be similar, if it is full it will be ~300g heaver.

The pin won't shift at all. The tare weight is 650 grms and on postal scales it is just under that. Does that mean it's empty? That would be odd as I've not long collected it from the shop. Is it possible for them to leak?

brooks said:
Thanks for your help. A lesson learned.
This has happend before with other members.
Some return the empty cylinder to the shop reinserted in it's original yellow plastic bag.
This causes confusion, resulting in the empty cylinder being resold as full.
I don't think it's malicious

Latest posts

Back