New Mangrove Jack's lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkylager86

Reaction score
So I got an email today about this new Mangrove Jack's Versa Lager yeast. From reading the description, this is just repackaged Novalager, isn't it?

Attachments

• IMG_20240716_181611.jpg
    IMG_20240716_181611.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi, yes it is, I've just received a sachet I bought and it says on the reverse "Powered by Lallmend......LalBrew NovaLager"........I'm a bit miffed as I've used NovaLager before and wasn't at all impressed due to the strong Apple esters (though I exceeded the temperature range by mistake, 22c rather than a max of 20c.....anyone had better luck with NovaLager?).

Hi, yes it is, I've just received a sachet I bought and it says on the reverse "Powered by Lallmend......LalBrew NovaLager"........I'm a bit miffed as I've used NovaLager before and wasn't at all impressed due to the strong Apple esters (though I exceeded the temperature range by mistake, 22c rather than a max of 20c.....anyone had better luck with NovaLager?).
My first Novalager brew is currently carbonating so I'll have to get back to you on that. It's just a standard Cooper's Lager.

Just ambient room temperature. The weather was a bit cooler here a few weeks ago so probably about 18-19°

What temp did you brew at? Update when you've had a taste!
I'm just trying this now after 12 days in the bottle. Novalager gets the thumbs up from me. There's a slight hint of red apple but I'm drinking it at room temperature and reckon that will die down if the beer is chilled. I've done the basic Cooper's lager with the supplied yeast and it tastes nothing like this and hopefully it will get even better with a bit of time. Very impressed.

I'm just trying this now after 12 days in the bottle. Novalager gets the thumbs up from me. There's a slight hint of red apple but I'm drinking it at room temperature and reckon that will die down if the beer is chilled. I've done the basic Cooper's lager with the supplied yeast and it tastes nothing like this and hopefully it will get even better with a bit of time. Very impressed.
Thanks for the update.....have a good weekend... cheers

The temperature won't have helped but the apple thing is a common criticism, it's perhaps better suited to Cold IPAs rather than lagers.

Novalager gets thumbs down from me after fermenting it both warm and cold,
I've had much better results using MJ54 for steam beers or pseudo pils and Lalbrew Diamond for true lagers.

Back