New Lalbrew IPA yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's Kristall clear.
Not necessarily..In my experience some people who say they don't like hazy beers it because they don't like the latest 'trend' for hazy IPA's, but then you ask them if they like German wheat beers, and I guess stouts and porters too, and they say they love them....go figure. its seems the clarity that is not problem.

Anyway I cant wait to give this new strain a go and see what flavours this yeast will produce. I love their Verdant yeast...so this one looks promising.

Not necessarily..In my experience some people who say they don't like hazy beers it because they don't like the latest 'trend' for hazy IPA's, but then you ask them if they like German wheat beers, and I guess stouts and porters too, and they say they love them....go figure. its seems the clarity that is not problem.

Anyway I cant wait to give this new strain a go and see what flavours this yeast will produce. I love their Verdant yeast...so this one looks promising.

I know, it sounds daft doesn't it but you're on the right lines, in my mind some beers should be clear. I like the occasional wheat and really liked the wit from @The-Engineer-That-Brews (Which was actually quite clear). Even though they are dark I like my stouts and dark beers clear if possible.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out. 🙂

I'm traumatised by having to explain hazy beers to some of the old fella's down my local with some misunderstandings about what hazy beers are. I know I'm talking to those in the know on this forum, but out there in the real world there are alot of people who have some funny ideas. And if a beer is supposed to be clear I'd be the first to return it if it wasn't.

Reminds me I must brew a German wheat beer...a style I've not yet done and one I really like...apart from Hoegaarden which is rank. A chap in our Berlin office once told me that Hoegaarden is to Germany what Fosters is to Aussies. No wonder people are put off the style if that is their first experience of it.

I'm traumatised by having to explain hazy beers to some of the old fella's down my local with some misunderstandings about what hazy beers are. I know I'm talking to those in the know on this forum, but out there in the real world there are alot of people who have some funny ideas. And if a beer is supposed to be clear I'd be the first to return it if it wasn't.

Reminds me I must brew a German wheat beer...a style I've not yet done and one I really like...apart from Hoegaarden which is rank. A chap in our Berlin office once told me that Hoegaarden is to Germany what Fosters is to Aussies. No wonder people are put off the style if that is their first experience of it.
I’m not surprised , Hoegaarden is a Witbier from Belgium.

I'm traumatised by having to explain simple jokes to people that think all German wheat beers are hazy. You can get filtered hefeweizen, it's called kristallweizen.

I’m not surprised , Hoegaarden is a Witbier from Belgium.
to be fair I did lead the conversation with "I hate wheat beers....Hoegaarden is rank". He then introduced me to Paulaner. A different experience.

As for Kristallweizen..I walked into that one - went right above my head. Never heard of it before, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Actually a german weiss is different to a belgian wit (spices orange peel? vs beer purity law) - I brew my no-gaarden and weizens with two different yeasts MJ bavarian and MJ belgian wit. Best belgian wit I had was Korenwulf from Gulpener. On the whole I prefer German weissbiers they are more robust.

Reminds me I must brew a German wheat beer...a style I've not yet done and one I really like...apart from Hoegaarden which is rank. A chap in our Berlin office once told me that Hoegaarden is to Germany what Fosters is to Aussies. No wonder people are put off the style if that is their first experience of itit.

Try the Paulaner recipe below, ingredients from Paulaner's website. Was my first all grain, tasted fantastic.

https://homebrewanswers.com/paulaner-hefe-weissbier-clone-recipe/

so you're not keen on German wheat beers then? wink...
Paulaner weissbier is crystal clear when you pour it from the bottle... it is the yeast added to ferment the added unfermeneted wort that makes it hazy. I like my beer clear too but am now much less fussy than I used to be and if I am drinking beer that I have bottled and get a little of the yeast into my brew I still down it athumb..

Always tasted soapy to me...assumed at the time that was a wheat beer thing until I tried others. Not touched it again for probably 25 years or so. But it was back in the day where they were pushing Hoegaarden in the pubs so I have no idea if it was imported or brewed and ruined in the UK.

never got soap from coriander and have made saisons with coriander myself several times not to mention many curries over the years laden with the stuff. Haven't touched it for over 20 years though. Maybe time to revisit.

Latest posts

Back