new ispindel!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupinehorror

Landlord.
Reaction score
quite new to brewing. long time fan of gadgetry. so enter the ispindel. just got it connected up and configured to report to ubidots but still have to do the calibration (which will happen tomorrow if i, gasp, have enough sugar). the temperature of my brew cupboard isn't great (have heatpads elsewhere). know there are a fair many around here have them. got it ready built on ebay from a great seller.
2020-10-13 18_43_00.png

I hind sight I should have got mine ready built. Ordered it in kit form and it's still sat in the packaging waiting to be assembled some 3 months later. Daft thing is, when it arrived I put it together to make sure everything was there but I didn't get the soldering iron out to finish the job.

I hind sight I should have got mine ready built. Ordered it in kit form and it's still sat in the packaging waiting to be assembled some 3 months later. Daft thing is, when it arrived I put it together to make sure everything was there but I didn't get the soldering iron out to finish the job.
i can solder and have all the gear but i'm also becoming more lazy. have a few electronics kits that i've yet to get around to building and knew that the ipindel would meet the same fate if i didn't get it pre-built. hope you get around to yours 🙂

calibrated it and added it to my 21L of double IPA that's been going for 8 days. reading 1.020 which seems about right to me. it's probably got another week to go.

I've only used mine twice and didn't bother calibrating it, it read 2 points high out of the box so left it as is. I like it but a couple of us reach our limits on ubidots for some reason which can be annoying

I've only used mine twice and didn't bother calibrating it, it read 2 points high out of the box so left it as is. I like it but a couple of us reach our limits on ubidots for some reason which can be annoying
and yes this has happened already with ubidots. could probably just raise the interval but i'm switching out to influxdb.

Never mind. I googled it.

Hosting a web page with a graph.

Thinking of buying an ispindel

From what I have read it works off wi-fi

I brew/ferment in the garage which is out of range of the home wi-fi

Does this mean it wouldn't work?

Thanks
you certainly wouldn't be getting any readings from it.
a wifi extender would probably be your best bet if it is at all possible.

you certainly wouldn't be getting any readings from it.
a wifi extender would probably be your best bet if it is at all possible.
Thanks - I do need to check what strength the signal would be in the garden

We are with BT who guarantee a good signal in every room - probably they wouldn't count the garage

i can solder and have all the gear but i'm also becoming more lazy. have a few electronics kits that i've yet to get around to building and knew that the ipindel would meet the same fate if i didn't get it pre-built. hope you get around to yours 🙂

Got my kit out again to look at assembling it. Got halfway through the instructions and realised I hadn't got a clue how to finish it off (thankfully no solder used by this point). Did a bit of research as most claim it's an easy project and I don't like to think of myself as an idiot.

Turns out most kits come with a PCB but mine just has a strip of protoboard. Rather than struggle through I've ordered the PCB. Cost about £4 off eBay and should turn up later this week.

So, a word of warning to anyone wanting to build one...unless you are really comfortable with circuit diagrams and working with protoboard, make sure your kit comes with a PCB!

i'd be contacting the seller of the kit about that. one. don't think it's too much to expect for a kit to come with all the required components ready to assemble.

It did come with everything it's meant to. I just didn't do my research before ordering. Entirely my fault but wanted to give others a heads up as it would be easily done given how many people are selling the kits.

I've been looking at this gadget for a while. I generally like the idea but would prefer to keep my data local. So i'm interested to know if iSpindel can work without ubidots or another external service? In other words, can it be set to send the data via simple http request ?

Latest posts

Back