New Brewer in Sussex :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crooksey

Reaction score
Hey :)

Finally decided to start homebrewing (now that I have the space), so signed up here to get some help/recipes and suggestions really.

I have never done any form of homebrew before, so very "green". Alot of my friends do-it and I have been dying to start, and like I said now I have the space i cant wait to get stuck in.

I have been looking at kits over the weekend, and there is just so much available im not sure where to start really.

1) I want to brew ale and larger (not at the same time). Does this require two completely different kits, or is there a kit I can buy that will do both?

I have been looking and reading the reviews of this kit....

Woodfordes Starter Kit

2) Are kits a good idea, or is it best to buy parts individually?

I don't want to buy a kit and out-grow it instantly, but on the other hand I dont want to turn my garage into a brewery!

Thanks for reading, sorry for all the questions!

EDIT: Also seen this Kit, but it seems more advanced and maybe not so much for beginners? http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/shop/ ... cts_id=596

Would I be right in thinking that with that kit you make the beer completely from scratch without using any "kits" or "recipe packs" ?

The kits will give you a good idea of the process and help you get a good sanitisation regimen going :thumb:
The two can kits are better than the singles.

You will soon end up going all grain if you show any modicum of interest......most of us do.
I have a 'collapsable brewery' that stores in the loft......space need not be too much of an issue.

Whatever you decide, there is plenty of help here for your chosen route.

ATB

Yea im thinking with jumping in all grain.

I am currently build a 7mx3m outbuilding to be used as a shed, I always planned to build a room in there for brewing, so I may as well just go all grain I think :)

With that in mind, what kits should I be looking at for an all grain starter?

Have a look a brewstew's 'first AG guided tour' - it is a sticky thrread in the all grain section.
It will give you a pretty good idea of what is required as a basic set up for all grain.
Dave Lines book is also an excellent read to get things in perspective.....bit dated, but well worth a small investment ;)

You can pretty much go where you want with it depending on your budget and the time you to take to 'get there'.
Have a look also at the brewday threads of Aleman, muddydisco, Wez, Cussword, highwayman, rickthebrew.....even mine :eek: to get an idea of how far and fast you want to go.

Crooksey said:
I am currently build a 7mx3m outbuilding to be used as a shed, I always planned to build a room in there for brewing, so I may as well just go all grain I think
By all means build your self a small room as a grain/equipment store, but don't stint your self for brewing space!

Thanks for all the replys!

It seems that a friend of mine (who I didnt know homebrewed) has messaged me on facebook offering to sell all of his full grain kit, going to save me a load of money and he will be able to show me how to set it all up!

Win double :cheers:

Crooksey said:
It seems that a friend of mine (who I didnt know homebrewed) has messaged me on facebook offering to sell all of his full grain kit, going to save me a load of money and he will be able to show me how to set it all up!
Talk about falling on your feet!!

I know, I cant belive how lucky I am!

He has his own bottling machine, loads of books and loads of kit, so get the kit Friday, and brew one day next week, hopefully be ready for my birthday.... Second week of October :)

Hi Crooksey

I am new to the forum too, and live in Sussex. Whereabouts are you? I am in Hurst Green (East Sussex).

Good luck with your brew plans!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back