New brew advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spursmatt

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I am going to do a brew on Sunday with a

Coopers dark ale
Coopers light malt extract unhopped
Chocolate malt
Fuggles hops

I was going to place the chocolate malt it some water and get it to 165f, Steep it for 30mins. Then after the 30mins was up I was going to take out the grain bag and insert some fuggles hops for 20mins or so.

After that I was going to take the pot off the hob and introduce my dark ale and and light malt extract and place it into my FV.

Now as I am a complete novice at this, does this all sound good??..

Any advice would be welcome
Matt

I would be a little concerned that your dark ale and LME were diluted a little with some hot water before you pitch your liquor. I've not brewed like this before so I'd advocate that you boil the hops OR make a hop tea (boil the hops in water for 20 mins - you could do this in parallel with steeping your grain) The whole brew at the correct brewlength needs to be mixed and aerated before you pitch your yeast again at the correct temperature of around 21 - 24Deg C.

Room temp is is your guide for this on the basis if its comfortable for you then yeast generally are happy.

Thanks LeithR

So it might be a good idea to boil the hops and steep the grains in a separate pot!.

Then transfer the lot into the FV and then add the dark ale and LME??

Latest posts

Back