MYO Red wine kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started off a red wine kit from the Range last Monday and checked it for the first time today. The SG was 1080 and the reading today was 1006, but does this look okay in the picture? It’s been a while since I’ve done a red wine kit and can’t remember what the last one looked like at this point. I should add I thoroughly sterilised everything and wasn’t tempted to have a peek by lifting the lid. The temperature stayed around the 22 degree mark for the entire week.

Happy for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
I have made many of that kit and non looked like that you say it doesn't smell too bad ours always smell like a decent bottle of red if it smells iffy i would be a bit wary.

If I’m honest, it doesn’t smell right. I’ll add the finings B later and see how it is tomorrow. One of the reasons I asked for advice on here was because I don’t remember it looking like that or smelling ‘not right’ either, and this would be my fourth batch of this particular wine. If it’s still not right tomorrow, I may have to bite the bullet and pour it down the sink. A long while ago I’d made a parsnip wine, it smelled a little ‘agricultural’, but I thought it would be okay. Long story short, I drank half the bottle and the next day was the start of the runs that I had for over a fortnight, so I no longer take chances!

If the fg is 1006 and it's still got krausen on the top, then it's likely it's still fermenting.
A dry wine will finish down at 0995

DOH i missed the 1006 give it a stir with something sanitised and let it get to .995 - .990 and smell/taste it then.

If I’m honest, it doesn’t smell right. I’ll add the finings B later and see how it is tomorrow.

Too late if you've added stabiliser its not going to go much further it is drinkable it'll be on the sweet side as you've stopped it too early

That definitely doesn't sound good.

I made a ribena wine when i first started it failed at 1010 and was so sweet i couldn't drink it if its bone dry at 1006 i think its going to be drain cleaner.

the old 2 week rule was best advice i got in here no matter what give it 2 weeks in the FV it wont do it any harm and only stop when either fermented out or the sweetness you desire
2 week rule is for normal strength beer (usually advice given to beginners brewing from a can kit)
It will be higher when you move to super strong beers or wine.

My Elderflower wine still has a way to go after about 5 weeks.

At the risk of doing something daft, the wine now smells really nice. I’ve got two more days before I’ve got to bottle it, so I’ll taste it at that point and then make a decision. If it’s not very good, I’ll get another kit and start all over again.

Wines can have faults, that are perfectly OK and can be fixed. Please don't bin it just because you are not sure. You are better you speak to a qualified winemaker, who can advise.
I’m going to taste it again in a couple of days, to see what it’s like. If it’s palatable and not too sweet, I may very well bottle it. We’ll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back