My Next Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, little later than hoped but things have been hectic.

The kit turned up on time, another great bit of service from Homebrew Centre in bristol.

Photo0014.jpg

Photo0015.jpg

The 2 tins got stuck in hot water to thin up the malt extract.

Photo0018.jpg

Photo0019.jpg

While this was happening I boiled 6 pints of water

Photo0020.jpg

once the water was boiling, this and the malt extract went into the FV and got mixed together

Photo0021.jpg

Photo0022.jpg

once it was proprly mixed it got topped up to 25 litres with cold water

Photo0023.jpg

Photo0024.jpg

This is the point i'm at now. I'm waiting for it to cool to between 18 and 21 Deg C before I can pitch the yeast. Will updater later.

I didn't treat it this time. Our tropical fish seem to like the water and it doesn't have a chlorine taste to it so i didn't bother. Will have to see how it turns out. Still waiting for it to cool.

well its no been sitting on 1012 for 2 days so i think its finished. Will be bottling this tonight. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

The brew looks good. Choice of footwear looks a bit girly though :D

Edit: just realised you're in Swindon. Small world :thumb:

Buzz said:
The brew looks good. Choice of footwear looks a bit girly though :D

Edit: just realised you're in Swindon. Small world :thumb:

well what can I say, I like pink.... :lol: Shame there the wifes.

Swindon is a bit of a lie, live just on the outskirts, near Wootton Bassett, You an AG brewer???

Bobo said:
Swindon is a bit of a lie, live just on the outskirts, near Wootton Bassett, You an AG brewer???
Yep, did kits for a few years and finally got the courage to go AG last October, so nearly a year under my belt now. Wish I started much sooner :cheers:

Buzz said:
Bobo said:
Yep, did kits for a few years and finally got the courage to go AG last October, so nearly a year under my belt now. Wish I started much sooner :cheers:

is there any chance I could come and watch/help with a brew at some point as I want to make the switch just a little bit daunted by it all.

well, bottled this tonight.

Photo0043.jpg

the first 10 bottles.

Photo0045.jpg

the finish

Photo0046.jpg

Still having clarity issues though.

but finished with a nice pint of Fullers Honey Dew.

Photo0044.jpg

Bobo said:
is there any chance I could come and watch/help with a brew at some point as I want to make the switch just a little bit daunted by it all.
You'd be more than welcome, although I tend to brew during the week as I work weekends. My next planned brewday is next week - Tuesday 23rd. I've got a small amount of work to do in the morning (I work from home, so no real problem) and I'd plan on getting the mash on at about 10.30am

I should say I still consider myself a novice but, I'm brewing fairly decent beer (IMO anyway) and if you think it would help seeing the whole AG process, then come on over. The whole process will take about 6 hours or so. I like to be finished prior to 5.00 so the place is fairly clean before the missus reappears :shock:

The one after that will be Thursday 2nd October - special one for me as it will be a year to the day that my dad died and I'm going to brew up somethign special in his memory. If you can't make those, I'll let you know in due course when my next one will be. Probably be late october, either w/c 20th or 27th.

PM if you are interested and we can sort out the details.

That would be great :thumb: you could stick it in with the books (see post on your thread :thumb: )

I also made that kit immediately prior to jumping into AG and it's fair to say that it blows my dads 'Geordie' kit out of the water (got a full keg of the gunk to get through but will be tapped only when he's here). :) However, the difference between the Muntons kit you have and all-grain is equally as large as the difference between a basic kit and the premium one you used.

I've done 10 AG brews so far and with the exception of one that got infected I can safely say that all of them have tasted better than anything I've had at Wetherspoons. Even my last one which was supposed to be a Summer Lightning clone and I mixed the hops up (used the bittering hops as aroma and vica versa) has turned out to be my best brew yet!

My son is a lager lout and drinks Carling religously but he absolutely loves all the beers I've made so far. This may be because he's getting it for nowt of course but he can certainly drink it! :) Oh, and he prefers the stuff I'm making to the Muntons kit that I did so that says something.

Back