Mrs Smith Brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like where you are coming from.

Buy a braumeister. At least see one before you buy anything else.
All brewing devices are not equal.

A BM does keep a steady mash temperature throughout the vessel.

It will also do it without being hands-on during the mash regime. Mine does - everytime. I didn't buy a machine to have to babysit it. Tbh if that's the case you might as well buy a burco 😁.. And the element is replaceable.

What beers have you brewed so far?
Braumeister is on the list of possibilities. I know how it works and you are right no need to be hanging around it during the mash and because of its unique flow and rest will keep a mash temperature stable.
What beers have you brewed so far?
To make it easier, we haven't brewed a sour.
Spending on equipment mainly helps the economy of China. I'm proud to say that one of my kettles was made in Spain and another made in Italy, but the SS Brewtec one is deffo Chinese. Guess which ones are better quality. Malt and hops, on the other hand, are of known provenance and this should suffice to keep my suppliers in business.

My philosophy is mend, re-use and adapt. The consumer, throw-away economy is destroying the planet. Avoid plastics, but if they can't be avoided then reuse and reuse. My old Fermenters from Hop and Grape gave 20 years service and the only reason I've replaced them is because the lids fell to pieces. They now serve for collecting apples at cider time. Replaced with Braumarkt plastic buckets, a tad smaller and thinner, but I expect to get a least ten years out of them.
International trade doesn't work like that, we would be in deep poo if we thought that way. The government gets a good slice of the pie with duty, VAT, and profit from the retailer. Most single-vessel breweries are made in China, as are most other things come to that.
What I want is something I don't have to repair, as the Braumeister for one.
Not really a throw away economy, take buildings they are built with a 20-30 year life span and built now and built with sustainability in mind. Bricks have made a big comeback as opposed to concrete, energy-efficient, and recyclable.
As for fermenters we have HDPE which have served us well but will be looking at PET and stainless steel.

Not really a throw away economy, take buildings they are built with a 20-30 year life span and built now and built with sustainability in mind. Bricks have made a big comeback as opposed to concrete, energy-efficient, and recyclable.
As for fermenters we have HDPE which have served us well but will be looking at PET and stainless steel.
Now you're talking. A purpose-built brewery fitted with Yorkshire squares. I'd recommend Welsh* slate over the traditional sandstone for the fermenters. Might stretch your budget though.

*Chinese slate is considerably cheaper than Welsh, but is of much lower quality. As for the transportation footprint and local working conditions, don't even go there.

I have the G40, great bit of kit. If I was starting out again then I might go for the Brewzilla 65l gen 4 as it has such a large brewlength range. I have found trying to do small batches of low ABV beer problematic in the G40.
The new Keg King stainless Apollo is very good value, as are the new vessels from GEB and Dark Farm.

I have the G40, great bit of kit. If I was starting out again then I might go for the Brewzilla 65l gen 4 as it has such a large brewlength range. I have found trying to do small batches of low ABV beer problematic in the G40.
The new Keg King stainless Apollo is very good value, as are the new vessels from GEB and Dark Farm.
Fermenters are the next on my list. So looking for some feedback on either the s/steel or PET.

What is you batch size?

Tbh you would be better to work out the space and the process flow. The answers will probably be better for you than pursuing "best of breed"

Fermenters are the next on my list. So looking for some feedback on either the s/steel or PET.
I use Speidel FV's, very strong I have cold crashed to 2C with a sealed lid and they did not collapse, good airlocks as standard though I tend to use blow off tubes and available in a good range of sizes. SPEIDEL

Makes absolutely no difference to the taste.

So decision making is life or portablity for cleaning.

.. Or ferment in the kettle.
Use HDPE now but we are looking at conical fermenters more than one when dry hopping transfer to a secondary.
What is you batch size?

Tbh you would be better to work out the space and the process flow. The answers will probably be better for you than pursuing "best of breed"
Batch size is 21-23 litres ABV dependent.
Not after the best of breed just something suitable.
https://shop.speidels-braumeister.de/en/accessories/fermenting/cooling-unit-cool-0-3-kw

Can be controlled directly from the latest braumeister 20/50.

Space, brewing and process efficient.

A microbrewery not an all in one.
Way too much. Cheaper alternatives than that. already have STC controllers and a fridge.
I use Speidel FV's, very strong I have cold crashed to 2C with a sealed lid and they did not collapse, good airlocks as standard though I tend to use blow off tubes and available in a good range of sizes. SPEIDEL
We have the 30 litre Speidel barrel fermenter looking for something more compact.

Way too much. Cheaper alternatives than that. already have STC controllers and a fridge.

I would like to understand the pin out on the new controller.
That would make for a lot more options.

I have been experimenting with a BM body with a grainfather controller. Very nice combination.

Back