measuring cylinder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Simple question: What size measuring cylinder do I need for my hydrometer which is about 10" ???

250 ml . . . generally . . . my big hydrometer needs a 500ml but the standard homebrew hydrometers should be fine in a 250ml one . . . I could go and check but its cold in the loft where my cheapy hydrometers and measuring cylinders are :twisted:

The Young's cheap plastic jobbies sold in Wilkinson's are about 120ml total with 100ml of graduations. They have the added benefit that they bounce if you drop them, unlike glass trial jars.

It's also not too much of a volume to lose if you have to drink the test sample :cheers:

Just one little point to remember Robsan, whether you're talking about wine, beer or cider: Trial jars are notoriously difficult things to sterilise and you will almost certainly ruin your brew if you ever return a trial sample to the fermenter.

Just to be on the safe side and to appease Bacchus and any other Roman, Greek, Pagan or other deities or spirits of your choice, one should always imbibe the contents of the trial jar.
This is, of course, total ********, but it's a good tradition to maintain.

no joy with the hydrometer tube :( hydrometer is too snug a fit and i cant get a good reading. :roll:

Latest posts

Back