Manse Mashup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
Just had a clear out of the Manse grain store, and had probably my first brewday without a glitch!

6kg MO
300g flaked maize
240g black malt
230g crystal 50
30g Fuggles @60
30g Bramling Cross @60
30g EKG @30
30g Progress @30
1 Whirlfloc @15
30g Progress @0
30g Bramling Cross @0

Just flamed out - shall report back with SG. As for yeast - using a slurry-based starter I've built up from my last brew - Brewlabs Sussex 1.
According to Beersmith I should get SG 1066, FG 1017, ABV 6.42, IBU 51.8, EBC 43.4.

Smells bloody gorgeous! Will leave chilling for 30 mins to let the flameout hops do their thing, then I'll post SG....

And the SG is...1067!! Happy with that. Want to dry hop - have EKG, Fuggles, Bramling Cross and Progress. What do you reckon?

I'd go with the EKG too for dry hopping, fuggles would be my second choice (in a big brew they might be a little more robust)

The others I don't know well enough.

I bow to your knowledge. I made a lot of AG brews but tended to stick to Fuggles, Goldings, Challenger, Target and Northdown

It's just personal preference. I've used them all and I like those two as late hops more than the others.

And bang on 23 litres. The beer gods have been shining on me today! If I could be bothered (read that as knew how) I'ld work out the efficiency of my setup....

Google calculate brew house efficiency, there is an online calculator in one of the first few links.
Tried that mate - I suspect I'll have to give it another go tomorrow. For every litre that went in to the fv, had to make room from last brew. Got a feeling tomorrow is going to be hazy....

So with an ABV (target) of 6.5%, IBU 51.8 and EBC 43.4, I'm thinking dark IPA, bordering double IPA? Thoughts anyone?

Maybe a porter? Highly hopped, so India Porter perhaps. A lot of highly hopped porter was shipped east.

It's close to an old ale. I might look at some additions (thinking licorice or something like that). Maybe some cinnamon or even cardamom. On the other hand, I might just neck it....

If it's reasonably fruity and roast flavours from the black malt haven't come through too much you might get something akin to Old Peculiar if you prime with black treacle/molasses or similar.

If it's reasonably fruity and roast flavours from the black malt haven't come through too much you might get something akin to Old Peculiar if you prime with black treacle/molasses or similar.

Might have overdone it a bit with the black - 3.5% of total grain bill. Only time will tell! Like the idea of molaases for priming. I might try boiling licorice to make a syrup. Be fun working out the sugar content...

Latest posts

Back