Loss in the boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laz

Reaction score
I have a new 33 litre stainless steel boiler, I used it for the first time on Saturday and lost about half the wort in the boil ending up with a final volume of 16 litres. I did use a lot of (hops 200G) but that should not have used so much. In the past I used a plastic electrum boiler and did not lose as much as this. I boiled the wort outside with 90 minutes. Does anyone know why I would have lost so much wort?
Thanks

Thats quite a bit to lose; loss for hops I use 1.6L/100g of hops; I have a 30L plastic bucket with element and lose 8%/hr to evaporation; I also add in a loss of 1L for cooling, and 1.3L for dead space, so I usually collect about 32L to get 23L. I put the surplus in a pot on the stove and keep it simmering then add as the level of the wort in the HLT goes down.

You may just have to get used to your system, you can also get controllers to regulate the rigour of your boil, however I wouldn't be able to help you there.

Thanks for the answers, I have no way to control the temp of the boil, I will work out how much I loose to dead space.
In my old plastic boiler I would only loss 5-6 liters, I will try again this weekend as Goog Ed said I may just have to get used to the new system.
cheers

It's just one of those things you need to calculate when dialing in your system. It's pretty typical to loose 1 gallon per hour in the boil and 1 gallon in trub.

You could try to wrap some insulation around the boiler to get it upto boiling quicker and that would mean you would lose less to evaporation.

Latest posts

Back