Looking for suggestions on flat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneBev

Reaction score
Hi Guy's
Looking for some help / suggestions on saving a PB full of Wherry that has been in the barrel for 2 weeks and is flat as a pancake!
I have realised that it is leaking from the valve on the cap. It's a second hand barrel and I know I should have maybe checked it over properly before using it... I have ordered an new cap and valve but wondering what I can do to carb it. Was thinking of fitting the new cap and valve and adding more sugar? Or can I carb it with CO2 bulbs? Looking for help 😂

You could do either. I think I'd go for the sugar first as you might need a lot of co2 bulbs otherwise. In the meantime, try taking off the cap and dismantling it. Apply a smear of vaseline to all the seals, especially the rubber rings, and then put it back together. It worked for me when I used plastic barrels.

You could do either. I think I'd go for the sugar first as you might need a lot of co2 bulbs otherwise. In the meantime, try taking off the cap and dismantling it. Apply a smear of vaseline to all the seals, especially the rubber rings, and then put it back together. It worked for me when I used plastic barrels.
Thanks for your help... I will try and prime it again with sugar.. the new cap and valve should be here tomorrow anyway. Just don't want to waste 40 pints of beer.

Might want to consider adding some yeast...would the residual yeast still be viable to condition after two weeks?? Tried to save a Belgian Triple in a similar fashion a while back. OK had been more than 2 weeks before I took action but I added sugar and that didn't work and was left with a very sweet flat beer.

Might want to consider adding some yeast...would the residual yeast still be viable to condition after two weeks?? Tried to save a Belgian Triple in a similar fashion a while back. OK had been more than 2 weeks before I took action but I added sugar and that didn't work and was left with a very sweet flat beer.
Thanks, it's a shame because even though it's flat it tastes pretty good from the small sample I have taken testing if there is any carbonation.

Unless you've done something to remove/disable the yeast, like filtering or lots of potassium bisulphite, then there should be yeast left in the brew. It will be dormant, but still alive for a long time.

Many people including myself, have cultured yeast from bottles, many many months old.

You should be able to just add more sugar and the yeast will wake up, ferment the new sugar and carbonate the beer.

I'm amazed it didn't work for you @hoppyscotty . How long did you leave it for and at what temperature?

Back