Looking for a good value stock pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

I can see £20, 15 litre jobs on eBay, reported to be very thin indeed. I wonder whether these would suffice, as long as I keep any grains and hops in a muslin bag, off the bottom, so nothing burns. Is there a danger even the diluted extract can 'burn' on the base of a very thin pot, though?

Other than that, it can be upwards of £50 for anything thicker. I'd be grateful for any pointers please. I reckon 15 litres will do me, for 3kg kits plus a few hops and grains occasionally (?) I only have a 6 litre stockpot at the moment, which is obviously very tight.

Thanks in advance...

I got a 19 litre Buckingham pot for about that money, works fine, yes it's thin but I use it as a pot not a drum :D

Search Ebay France for Marmite, you'll see some come up. Seller is media-trust. Send them a message and they'll sort out delivery, etc.

interesting :hmm:

Toying with the idea of upsizing my brewery to a 100 litre outfit.....

Cash is the main blocker at the moment though :roll:

What size brewery do you currently have? Sure you could find somebody to buy it. ;)

your main danger is the extract becoming too concentrated and caramelizing...you want a gentle-ish rolling boil with a good volume. it'll up your hop utilziation too, and don't underestimate how much room those big hop schedules can take up!

are you all graining or extract brewing?

I'm extract brewing.

I've emailed the French ebay seller. Are those Schengler pots pretty good then - perhaps thicker than the Buckingham ones we can get cheap from UK suppliers?

Any further UK supplier suggestions would still be appreciated

I recently bought a stock pot from Wilkinsons for £15. It's 18 litres and it seems pretty sturdy, considering the price. Only done one extract brew in it so far but very pleased with it.

Speccy said:
I recently bought a stock pot from Wilkinsons for £15. It's 18 litres and it seems pretty sturdy, considering the price. Only done one extract brew in it so far but very pleased with it.

Brilliant, thanks! That looks just what I was after, so I've ordered one. Job done.

I had checked in Wilkos in town (and Dunelm) but they had nothing over 6L or so on display. I didn't know they could order that one in. You're a star.

Speccy said:

I bought the same pot, advertised as 18l and it only took about 16l. Well made pot though.

RobWalker said:
Are those Schengler pots pretty good then

They are the pooches plums. :thumb:

They're the de facto standard shiny pot. I've got the 70l for my boiler (currently my BIAB pot) and a 50l thermo one waiting conversion to a mashtun.

Quality is excellent, the seller (Bergland, German outfit) are absolutely magnificent in their service and the price is nothing short of ridiculous, cost me a smidge over 100 quid for the two pots delivered.

Latest posts

Back