Letting yeast 'clean up' - putting it to the test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one, I was leaving mine three weeks from start to bottle, I will now not worry about finishing and clearing earlier if stocks run low.

Hi Roddy
what is the wine
is it a kit or have you made it your self
looks good
is it sweet I'm after a medium sweet to sweet wine to make for my mother

hi ddeighton1

This was a fruit wine (WOW), it's not particularly sweet - fermented down to 0.990 and sweetened with a bit of canderel

recipe is here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53999

You can obviously stop the fermentation when it gets to 1.000-1.005 or similar SG, which will leave the a bit of sugar unfermented for sweetness - I'm going to experiment with something a little sweeter next

About 1.5ltr under my belt tonight so a decent test of the side effects, will report back laters

Hats off to you for being the guinea pig. I've always left mine a good four weeks in the DJ before racking, so I'll be interested to hear how your experiment goes!

Thanks Roddy, I am trying some tonight that I don't know how how long have been fermenting as for some reason I didn't put it in my book, it definitely hasn't been more than a couple of weeks.

I think a week might be a bit quick to prove anything really. I feel that other 'organisms' rather than the yeast added at the outset are more than likely responsible for any 'cleaning up' Each brewery/winery/kitchen has it's own micro flora and fauna which can all add to the flavour in many mysterious ways. ( Lambic springs to mind) so yeast is not the be all and end all of brewing. But it is a fascinating subject to study.

I think a week might be a bit quick to prove anything really.

When i first joined the forum i remember reading about aldehydes and this is where the warning about leaving the yeast to clean up after itself came from, as they are produced during fermentation they will have been present at the end of the week, in this case it didn't make him ill, i would still advise members to leave their wine a week after fermentation has finished as you would be gutted if you made a batch that did make you ill.

I still leave mine as i have several DJ's at various stages of fermentation so never need to finish them early, the old forum saying "make more than you can drink" fits well here. :wink:

The most common aldehyde in beer is acetaldehyde, an intermediate in the fermentation pathway.

Aldehydes are present in all alcohol and are higher after the d word is used. Their often filtered out although not always.(they can give a distinct flavour profile, Jim Beam is an example I believe). It's them that gives you the stinking head by the way.

In my last post I said I make more than we can drink which is the case but Mrs Tea prefers rose to white, I had 4 DJ's of rose which was 11 days old so with this thread in mind I finished them last night, I will bottle them Friday and see how she is on Saturday after a bottle.

Well its good news, after a couple of glasses of Sav Blanc i decided to join the "will this Rose wine give me the ****s" experiment, we are both fine today so i guess that proves you don't have to leave it a week after fermentation has finished. :thumb:

Yes, she was going to try it on her own but i felt a bit guilty so joined in, we had more last night and again this morning we are both fine.

Latest posts

Back