Lager drinker looking for alternatives!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brycey

Regular.
Reaction score
Alright guys

I've always been a lager drinker(werstiener,budvar etc).I have done three brews to date a german pils,coopers european lager and a coopers wheat with wheat malt and hop additions.The first two are a couple of days away from going into the cold for conditioning,i've so far managed to resist opening any of the bottles but i'm thinking it may take some time for these to develop some nice flavour.I know the wheat will be ready to drink a little bit quicker although i like a nice cold wheat beer i find them to heavy to be drinking more than maybe three or four.

So i was thinking of broadining my horizons a little.Could anyone suggest an ale or ipa that won't take for ever to condition and isn't to far removed from what i'm used to,just to get me into ales and other types of beer?

I've also got some wow style wine,TC,hooch and fiery ginger beer on the go and everything seems to be fermenting nicely and hitting expected gravity readings etc,but i see these as more of a experimental sideline and would like to build up a good stock of tasty beers as my main brewing activity.

:cheers:
B

Id suggest Better brew IPA, or Festival Golden Stag. There are good threads on both in the reviews section. Im a former strong lager drinker and t is is the type I go for now.

The Coopers Selection IPA is a nice little kit. Made exactly as per instructions (500g light DME and 300g sugar) it is nice and tasty, without being an overly hopped IPA. Mine took about 4 weeks to mature nicely, but after 3 months they were extremely good :drink:

+1 on the Better Brew IPA. Also the Muntons Gold Midas Touch is a belter of a beer, particularly with a little EKG dry hop. :thumb:

before i started brewing i didnt drink ales just lager and spirits, my first kit was a woodfordes wherry and that i found brilliant. also since starting to get the tastes for ales when ever i go out for dinner have 1 or 2 of the different ales they have on. aswell in home bargains they have a fair few different bottled ales that are quite cheap so get 4 or 5 different ones to try when passing. upto yet i havent found a single one i dont like. same for a fair few milds that i have tried there really nice too.

Looks like i've quite a few to try then need to a thinking me thinks :thumb:

B

Not an ale or an IPA but the coopers stout is fantastic and mine was ready pretty much after a month :)

Back