Lager brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col222

Reaction score
I am starting off a lager brew and would like to know what fermentation temperatures I should be trying to get ?

I've fermented with the Diamond lager yeast at 12 deg then raised to 18 for a few days before lowering to close to zero - tried slow stepped cooling and cold crashing. There's a good write up here of one of the more rapid lager brewing processes which would apply well to the Diamond yeast Lager Method

First time I used this I fiddled with a two step starter. These days I'd just use a couple of packs of dried yeast instead in a single batch.

I am starting off a lager brew and would like to know what fermentation temperatures I should be trying to get ?
10-15 C is the declared optimum temperature. There seem to be a number of comparisons with W 34/70, the latter will ferment nicely into the high 20s, but it'll give the beer an ale character rather than a lager one. I suspect Diamond is not dissimilar.

First time using Diamond Lager and I’m very happy. Pitched on Saturday and it’s already time to start upping the temp towards D-rest. Brewing a Helles that’s normally fermented with wy2308, interested to see how it turns out.

0FA4E1BC-CEF7-428A-B729-BFF2C809530B.jpeg

First time using Diamond Lager and I’m very happy. Pitched on Saturday and it’s already time to start upping the temp towards D-rest. Brewing a Helles that’s normally fermented with wy2308, interested to see how it turns out.

View attachment 53477
This makes me wish I'd got my ispindel working ... I've been a bit intimidated by the setup so far! I've a lager fermenting at 10 deg at the moment and it's 5 days in and still has krausen. I'm a little worried it is infected since it was v slow to start and data like this would have been v reassuring.

On another note, sadly I am really looking forward to the Scottish winter and the opportunity to stack the outside shed with lagers to cold condition for a few months 🥶.

This makes me wish I'd got my ispindel working ... I've been a bit intimidated by the setup so far! I've a lager fermenting at 10 deg at the moment and it's 5 days in and still has krausen. I'm a little worried it is infected since it was v slow to start and data like this would have been v reassuring.

The real value of an iSpindle is lager brewing. Previously I’d lose a litre of fermenting brew in sampling’s. It’s a game changer!

On another note, sadly I am really looking forward to the Scottish winter and the opportunity to stack the outside shed with lagers to cold condition for a few months 🥶.
I’ve similar plans for the garden shed this winter😀.

iSpindle setup isn’t too bad. I did cover the kitchen floor in sticky sugar liquid during the calibration process. Once that was done I followed the GF setup instructions and surprisingly it worked. My calibration is off, but I just need to know when to D-rest so I use hydrometer readings to provide OG and FG. If I ever calibrate again I’ll do the fast ferment method instead.

There seem to be a number of comparisons with W 34/70, the latter will ferment nicely into the high 20s, but it'll give the beer an ale character rather than a lager one. I suspect Diamond is not dissimilar.

Not necessarily - see this on warm-fermenting 34/70 :
https://fermentis.com/en/news/fermentation/rediscover-saflager-w-34-70/
For some reason the images don't download for me, but I've preserved them here :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/warm-fermented-lager-thread.592169/page-34#post-8875435
At temperatures from 12-20°C (and some other variables like pitch rate and gravity, the grey one is a big underpitch and the dark purple one an overpitch, which are the two giving significant "OFF Notes")
1630138453152.png

Latest posts

Back