Kegs and CO2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherman

Reaction score
Evening all

I started kegging a couple of months ago and have an adapted fridge for storage and dispensing.

the question is, do you all leave your CO2 turned on all the time when connected to full kegs?

I have been carbonating the beer (usually under pressure in the Fermentor) keg it and then generally only turn the gas on to subsequently dispense it.

Many thanks

I leave mine on and connected all the time, though I believe some others turn it off when not needed.

When I started kegging my first CO2 bottle emptied itself in about 48hrs! 😱 Turned out I hadn't fully tightened one of the fittings 🤦 Lesson learned, I haven't had a problem since (touch wood! 🤞)

I leave mine on and connected all the time, though I believe some others turn it off when not needed.

When I started kegging my first CO2 bottle emptied itself in about 48hrs! 😱 Turned out I hadn't fully tightened one of the fittings 🤦 Lesson learned, I haven't had a problem since (touch wood! 🤞)
I think this is what worries me. However, I don’t visit the fridge through the week and when I do at the weekend and turn the gas on, you can hear it flowing.

To me, this suggests either the beer isn’t carbonated to the same level as what’s flowing in or the keg isn’t.

I don’t think the kegs are leaking though.

The beer is absorbing the co2 so the pressure is going down, when you switch it back on it’s replacing that that’s been absorbed.
That’s my thoughts so, at some point that would stop as beer would be at the same psi as the gas being pumped in?

So, should I assume that my beer is either not at 10 psi or, that there is a leak somewhere

Latest posts

Back