Kegerator build + Corny tubing/tap question?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLA91

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I have got round to getting some of the gear for a corny setup, my first (my only according to SWMBO) corny arrived a few days ago, thanks bobsbeer :thumb:, and I picked up a fridge yesterday. The fridge is a small under the counter job and the cooling element is essentially the icebox compartment which I have had to break from its mounts and push to the back of the fridge to get my corny to fit in the front.

photo_zps1cc51a50.jpg

I have a CO2 bottle which I collected yesterday as well so basically I have a few questions about connectors and taps etc...
The regulator I am looking at is this one but I don't have a clue how to actaully attatch tubing to the output and to my corny, I am picking up these disconnects from norm.

Also tap wise, I am reluctant to get a proper tap installed on the front of the fridge as the fridge only holds 1 corny so in a few months I will need a new one which I am already looking out for. I thought of a party tap like this one but asking norm to do what he did for Dave1970 and using more tubing as you can see here 8th post down to reduce foaming.

Also I will be picking up a STC-1000 from here, will that be ok?

Cheers all sorry if its a bit long.

HLA91

I would get your STC from here, he is forum member and service is great :thumb:

This would be a better regulator IMO. It looks as though you could un-screw the barbed nipple and replace it with a John guest push fit if you wish.

The disconnects Norm supplies come with John Guest push fittings, according to his ebay listing. They will take 3/8" tube :thumb:

3/8" gas/beerline is less than a £ a meter ebay or norm perhaps??

depending on the style of beer and the presure you serve it at you may want to put a length of 3/16" beerline between the keg and tap to help reduce foaming.

iirc the thin 3/16" line will restrict pressure between 1 and 2 psi per foot length. the goal being to drop the pressure at the tap point to as low as possible while maintaining a reasonable pour time. this minimises the 'pressure gradient' between beer and real world which helps keep the co2 in solution and helps avoid foaming.

otherwise looking good :)
some people have extended fridge capacity with an insulation board cupboard extention :)

Right ok so the JG push fitting fit 3/8" so I can have that going from reg to corny and hopefully that barbed nipple comes off and I can fit a JG on that, failing that do I just jubilee the hose to the reg? For the party tap should I ask norm to make up a tap like he did for Dave1970?

3/8" gas/beer line is measured by the Outside Diameter, the inside diameter is iirc 1/4" so a 1/4" barb/hosetail fitting secured with a jubilee clip should attach the gas line safely to your reg, it may come fitted with a 3/8" barb/hosetail if so a hairdryer / gas flame may heat up the gas line enough to get it on, BUT DONT BE TEMPTED TO USE A MUG OF BOILING WATER FOR THE SAME JOB Water and Regs do Not play well together

Or you can get a JG fitting to attach directly to the reg instead of the hose-barb and use that to connect up, the thread will probably be 1/4" bsp? but check that :)

After chatting with another member who uses the party tap he said that for ale the extended length is not needed, so I will stick with a run of the mill party tap for now. My final shopping list is as follows
STC-1000 £176.50
Regulator £33.54
Party tap £16
Disconnects + JG Speed fittings £22

Total £89.04 :sick: SWMBO is less than impressed :evil:
Plus some 3/8" to connect the reg to the corny from H&G

Any suggestions/additions to that list?

HLA91

Back